Magi (Thimhallen)

This is a sandbox for other projects. Usable by anyone.

Magi (Thimhallen)

Postby TheMatt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Wizard. Thaumaturge. Like dark sword. Magi. Ability to generate an attribute, using magic. Attribute is not enhanced. Attribute is replaced by a magical effect. Not sword to sword+1. Sword to 'fiery blast'.
Erfworld mancers. ..enhancer. Opposite of hexamancy? Or combined into one class. Combined on basis of mechanics. Bonus and malus effects. Dark and light takes on something. Like luckamancy.

Why a uma? Because uma are the containers for mechanics. Could chi and arcane just be uma? Why are they a system? Because they are broader. Elemental magic could be uma...a series of uma with common mechanic. But spells take up a chunk of book. Yet there is much over lap tween spells. Reduce to say... 10 effects, like original uma. Perhaps provide c1 spells as class effects. Is, you get them all. Each circle becomes a uma tier? Nah.

Forty spells... For arcane. How many for elemental?
"I can't tell if what you are saying is too profound for me to understand, or just insane".
TheMatt

Re: Magi (Thimhallen)

Postby Maugh » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Elemental Spells: 14+12+10 = 36. 36*6 = 216.

I can see what you're saying in streamlining the options. But that tends to lead to lighter options. People enjoy reading through spells, and although I don't write content just to pad a book, it does help having plenty of pages filled.

If I were to start from scratch, I would probably do "sub-classes," kinds of things, build the whole game out of UMA style abilities. Buying abilities in bigger chunks, with more versaitility, rather than individual 2 point abilities.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby TheMatt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Not streamlining. Musing about the mechanical 'containers' for things. Was reading Numerera, which uses a single mechanic for everything. Which I immediately disliked. Which is funny, because that is one of the things I really liked about Dresden Files. So I've been puzzling over that contradiction.

It also ties into some of the things I didn't like in the 2e to 3e transition, and to the 3e to 4e transition. Specifically, 2e 2 3e saw the total destruction of the thief class. 'Max ranks = Level+3' meant that a L1 thief was no better than a L1 fighter...they had more skills that were 'capped', but nothing they were better at. 4e, all classes are just flavor of fighter.

2e, each class had a unique set of mechanics:
Fighter: Multiple attacks
Thief: Percentile Skills
Wizard: Magic
Cleric: Per day powers
Paladin: (Mess of 'em).
Ranger: Animal companion
Bard: Skill-dependent powers.

So, what makes a class?
Different rates of increase in BAB, saving throws, HP, etc?
Difference in an 'available powers's?
No.
Different mechanics make a class.
"I can't tell if what you are saying is too profound for me to understand, or just insane".
TheMatt

Postby TheMatt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm

Wizard. Thaumaturge. Like dark sword. Magi. Ability to generate an attribute, using magic. Attribute is not enhanced. Attribute is replaced by a magical effect. Not sword to sword+1. Sword to 'fiery blast'.
Erfworld mancers. ..enhancer. Opposite of hexamancy? Or combined into one class. Combined on basis of mechanics. Bonus and malus effects. Dark and light takes on something. Like luckamancy.

Magi - Replace a skill value
Enchanters - Enhance a skill value. Or detriment it. Bonus/Malus.
Creation vs. Transformation, really.
TheMatt

Postby TheMatt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:17 pm

UMA's really based on Monte Cook's races and racial levels.
    Innate racial abilities
    Advanced racial abilities

Could the elemental magics be packaged as such?
Should they be packaged as such?
Arguably, no. Distinct content should use distinct mechanics.
..Except that the UMAs already use the skill dependent abilities.
Except feedback....except the UMAs already use feedback.
So not reason not to.

Unlike the Arcane magics, there is no incentive to diversify, for the elemental. An extra point doesn't get you much. No overlap.
TheMatt

Return to Side projects