Environments for Monsters

Here you can read and post concepts and statistics for monsters and traps

Environments for Monsters

Postby Maugh » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:32 pm

So, as I've been saying for ages, the critter book will be divided into two books. I just wanted revisit this, in case somebody else had a good idea for an environment, if they think that something needs to go away. This is what I have right now:

Book 1:
Cave, Desert, Forest, Mountain, Plains, Ruins, Saltwater, Taiga, Swamp, Undead

Book 2:
Deep Caves, Freshwater, Glacier, Jungle, Savannah, Sky, Urban, Volcanic, Demons, Mechanical

Obviously undead and mechanical are not environments. They're still cool. This list drops the crystal caves, (which can get rolled into deep caverns,) and deep water, (which can be rolled into the ocean/lake spots.) Just trying to save a little work. I also dropped the Wasteland and called it Demonic, putting it in the category of Undead and Mechanical, but it is kind of an environment as well.

This means 400 monsters total, 20 monsters for 20 environments.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: Environments for Monsters

Postby James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:30 pm

So, I think anyone who reads these forums knows which way my adventure design goes. I would love to help with Undead (starting a list at work today), Swamp, and Ruins. I have a few random monsters that can go in other settings i.e. harvest dancer for plains, Longjaw forest drake for forest, Frost Maggots for tiaga. Kirst'Ahnul are deep caves and I have another 3 sub-species designed.
I can easily come up with 20 undead and the swamp draws the because of my attraction to loathsomeness. Ruins I just have a few ideas for and I will post them up.
I think it is a pretty good envoronment list, covers all that I would be working with at the least.
James

Postby Maugh » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Sounds awesome. If you tackle a full list for an environment, don't forget to include the basic animals, such as alligator, viper, and small reptile/amphibian (lvl 1) for the swamp. The Harvest dancer actually might fit really well in the undead, since it is an undead thingie, but it works just as well in the plains. *shrug* Whichever. Swamp should have some kind of a poison slime, too. That could be fun.

*whew* Having somebody else working on this with me takes a HUGE load off of my shoulders. Thanks James.

Also, keep in mind that 20 is a goal, but that if you want to fill a niche in an environment that already has 20 or that someone else is working on, don't hesitate to write it up. The only requirement is that we have at least one for each combat skill level.

I find it easiest to brainstorm a list of 20, then rate them on 1-4 for power level, just for a loose organization, and then to organize each of those 4 sections into 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, and 16-20 respectively. Then I start inputting them on the Charmongen from rank 1 to rank 20. Usually I add a few missed concepts along the way. That's how my brain works, and it works fairly well, but do it as you see most useful. The brainstorming and level-arranging can be easily done without a computer *coughworkcough*.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Quick note, more later. The Harvest Dancer is NOT undead. Nothing about it is.
James

Postby James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:23 pm

I was talking to Dylan about challenge ratings with monsters just before I got your post. Do you want monsters made with a skill cap of 1? No one plays that small, do they? It would be silly. I guess if you have enough of them to whelm, it can become worth the fight or they are vitalist lumps. Can you e-mail your complete list again? I seem to have misplaced it if you gave it to me.
James

Postby Maugh » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:54 pm

The 1-4 is not just for combat monsters, (though a bunch of them whelming would do the trick.) It's also for trainable monsters, and to include things that might be too weak for combat but have other advantages. Small birds and rodents and tarantula's, etc. Your wicker-men would fit perfectly in this category for the undead. (And I'm pretty sure those are undead.)
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby James » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 am

*grin* Yes, the wickermen are undoubtably undead. the low level training is a cool idea, make people more likely to take the animal skill. In the case of the undead, would it be training, or would you have to Necro. spell power vs. their creator's, or only if they were actually trying to wrest control of one currently being controlled like you MMM vs Lizno's undead army?
James

Postby Maugh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 am

Not sure. The most straightforward method to use is compulsion magic. You could use a necromancy spell power check, but that's a DMing call, and I probably wouldn't let someone do that in combat. Since the Wickermen are sentient, I would actually let someone use diplomacy skills. Since they're controlled, that would have limitations without magic. The Animal skill is specifically for critters with animal or minimal intelligence.
Maugh
Site Admin

Return to Monsters and Traps