April Update

Welcome to the Mayhem discussion boards. News and site suggestions go here.

April Update

Postby Maugh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Update. We've been buying art. There are still plenty of images, especially in the world-building section, landscapes, and other painted stuff that we just don't have the talent for, and it would be too much to try to learn it. But Aubrey has been in contact with a few other artists, and we've got a few commissions going.

Progress is slow, but actually fairly steady. We are still working.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: April Update

Postby Matt' » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Phoenix Comic-Con May 24th! PRINT PRINT PRINT! Print some gluebacks with some of the content, sell for $20. Use money to buy more art.
Matt'

Postby Maugh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 pm

There are four problems with that plan.

1. We don't have all of the art finished for the book.
2. Pre-pressing a 250 page page book will take several weeks of full-time work, which Aubrey has not gotten to, this being a hobby project, and with us focusing on getting art done.
3. All of the art that Shannan did does not belong to us, until we have a contract. Contracts don't get signed without promise of payment. Shannan, once upon a time, was more than willing to let us use her stuff for free, or at least for part ownership in the project. Unfortunately, that relationship is not longer in a place where we can really ask that of her.
4. I cannot expect Aubrey to spend all of her free time engaged in this project. Like everybody else, she burns out, especially after spending 50+ hours a week doing her own full-time design job. She has been working on this, but I can't and won't give her a deadline.

In short.

We have no time, and no money, and have no rights to a big chunk of our best art.

As a hobby project, this book is NOT REALISTIC. I am not giving up on it, but I am coming to the conclusion that it is not going to happen without a significant financial investment.

On that note, I will be done with graduate school in THREE WEEKS.

At which point our income will shift significantly, and I will be able to dump some money into buying art, and into paying for the art we already have.

Shouting PRINT PRINT PRINT. does not make this project come into existence. Time, work, and financial resources do. I have busted my butt for literally years and years trying to make this happen, and while I appreciate the support and encouragement, I cannot wave a magic wand and make it poop right out.

We are buying art. We are getting it press ready, and although it may not seem like it without having a tangible copy in your hands, we have made a LOT of progress over the last year. We're just not there yet.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:02 pm

*shrug*.
I'm not as invested in the quality of product as you are. To me, art is nifty, but not necessary. I've purchased a stack of PHB"s over the years, and the art quality is...variable to say the least.

On the 'Done Well, Done Fast, Done Cheap' trifecta 'Done Cheap' has been mandatory, and I suggest prioritizing 'Done Fast' over 'Done Well' and just call it marketing material, something we can run-play-tests with. Exclude all the art if you like, but give people something to buy. Most people will certainly be willing to re-buy (nearly) the same product, with the addition of art.

One of the things we learned about Gen-Con is to have a 'half-price' alternative for people who can't quite bring themselves to spend the money on the main item, but really want to buy SOMETHING.
Matt'

Postby Matt' » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:00 am

Oh, and congrats on finishing gradschool. Job well done!
Matt'

Return to Welcome to the Forums