Other forums, general success, and outside suggestions

Welcome to the Mayhem discussion boards. News and site suggestions go here.

Other forums, general success, and outside suggestions

Postby Maugh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 pm

So, I've been posting review requests on other forums and sites for the last two weeks, with some pretty good results, all things considered. I've posted across 3 main forums, and from it I've gotten several hundred views on those threads as well as racked up over 50 downloads, (and climbing). People have been leaving feedback, and it's been pretty constructive, mostly positive, but with some good criticisms and excellent suggestions.

A couple of things that people have mentioned:

First off, the organization of the book is found to be lacking. There were a few hiccups in character generation as well. This is mostly due to the fact that the vast majority of the content is scattered throughout the book, so character generation requires some digging, with little suggestion on what way to turn. The impression that people get is that starting characters are very bland, having only access to skills and no race options, and it has to be explained to them that they need to look through the content to find out what they want to do with their character.

I think part of this is the DND 3rd experience, where you first choose race, then class, then organize skills. We do it backwards. First choose skills, then class, then flip through the races.

The first fix for this I've already applied. I used Acrobat to build in a chapter/bookmark/link system into the betabook to speed navigation. It helps A LOT. Download it again and see what I mean.

The second thing that I think we need to do is to make the races and talents more prominent. Aubrey and Shannan get a great big "I told you so!" out of this one. People like to see these showcased. They should be up in the frontline of character generation. This will mean a sort of re-structuring for the Vol 1 book, but will have the advantage of shortening the list of race/talent options down to a manageable number, and presenting them at the beginning.

This also means I need more art. Hounding Shannan is not always my preferred way of getting things done, because it means asking someone else to work toward something that gains them very little feedback. It would be really nice to have a few backed-out showcasing images on the 'standard' races, to show them off. This means bugging shannan, though, who is very busy and somewhat preoccupied with dragon age.

The third fix is to have a better explanation of each part of the system up front. THe introduction to the game should include introductions to each element of the system. This should start in the first book, and be reflected in each of the others.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: Other forums, general success, and outside suggestions

Postby Maugh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:14 am

Site links for the forums that I have been posting on:

This was the very best site. Lots of helpful people and detailed reviews. They have a good community.

http://www.rpg.net/

This was the second best site. Some positive feedback and volunteers to try it out, but little review. They do have a very supportive community, though, less aggressive than the rpg.net folks.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/

This one has some good information, some neat ideas, but they were more negative and not tremendously helpful. That and their site loads EXTREMELY slowly, when it works at all.

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/

We are, by the way, up to 70 downloads.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Return to Welcome to the Forums