Development, 6th Year of the Lord Bishop

Post details on ongoing games, report progress here, or look for a game here.

Trelok's return, Invasion of Nasnuhull

Postby James » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I was glad to play with these characters again. I missed them. Glad we could have Trelok worm his way back into the group even if it was awkwardly done. You all knew that he was "Artful Dodging," but understood that nescessity calls anyway and a Scath is needed for the Void path to Nasnuhull.

We did a lot of time passing and glossing over things I wanted to do that so we could get to the action. I am not sure if it was for good or ill. Maybe a bit of both, but we will be doing less of it in the future, I think.

We welcomed a new member for the group as well. Tic, the Inventor. Tic is a human with a mind for gears and improved devices. We didn't get much of a chance to see him do things yet, but Ben is new to the system and I think still trying to figure out what he can do in and out of combat. We all loved the decoy flying in on the glider to pull the demon's attention. Very funny imagery.

Any feedback on the Demons fought: Crawling Mountain or Firesparks? Also we worked with the new demon summoning rules just a little bit. It was quickly explained and I feel that some thought it complicated as a result of this. It is not so complicated, though.

XP-
There were compliants (nicely made) about my distribution of XP in the past. So here it goes:

Everyone gets 15 XP. Spend it as you'd like. Also, 5 to distribute to your "Additional Skills" if you feel you can justify the boost. I hope this lets people feel a little less forced to things.
James

Re: Development, 6th Year of the Lord Bishop

Postby ben » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:04 am

:geek:Who creates imaginary geek characters for geek games? Me, and his name is Tick. The guy used to be a librarian for heaven sakes. But like any imaginary inflated projection of myself, Tick is much more than just a human encyclopedia or Thelma from Scooby Doo. He can pack quite a punch, or electric whip rather. (Please keep your Freudian comments to yourself.) Tick or James Johnathon Jacobs. Tick developed his nickname because he occasionally makes a ticking sound with his mouth, especially while concentrating or speaking. A strange habit that formed after being struck by lightning as a child. Ever since this time Tick has had a fascination with electricity. Tick's main goal in life is harness the same electrical power as bolt of lighting. Although not opposed to working with magical people, Tick has never wanted to dabble in magic himself. The mystery of it makes him nervous. For Tick life is a system of equations and formulas. (Of course this makes me nervous, because life is not like this for me his creator.)
ben

Postby ben » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:14 am

-Electric Whip- I think we talked about this one. I imagined something I would need to wind. That was clean looking with metal joints that shock would be delivered through. Winding each time before I use it.
I imagined the rest to be similar. I need to think of some quicker attack maybe, I wonder if it is worth it. Perhaps it is too slow.
Some other thoughts I had were:
An electric net trap. Perhaps something I could lay down. Then once touched could deliver a shock, although i don't know what could trigger that.
I was also thinking of creating some mechanical nets. Perhaps I could throw them at things to entrap them. Would design them so that as the opposite sides of the net came together they would latch somehow. I wonder if I could even discover a way for it to keep pulling in tighter and tighter on itself. Perhaps even eventually digging into the skin.
ben

Reclaimation of Nasnuhull

Postby James » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Three cheers for the Triumphant!
(Date: Spring 39)
Cleaned out an entire temple of cultists studded with powerful undead and demons! Wasn't sure how it would go down. There were some truly sweet moments to this with battles, characters, and monsters. We got to see some spectacular tactics and the power of particular effects. The first encounter set the pace for the adventure, I think:
Trelok scouts ahead and sees that there is a single young cultist with four hunting zombie under her control. So Jabronie stride up and “schmoozes” with her. While he failed in the proper called response, she liked him enough to give him the call and forgive him of it. Meanwhile, Herja has finished the pre-arranged countdown and Conans around the corner with Valkyrie power. What kills a SC 9 cultist and 4 SC 8 undead on one spot of the Wheel? Well directed Crawling Darkness, well rolled and aimed Fire Blast, and the broadsword of a fearsome Valkyrie. Poor Tick barely moved into position to help. After the death, Tick and Jabronie used Memorization to learn the cultists entire holy book and thereafter knew by heart all of the coded conversation innuendo.

We learned some things from this adventure: Terraform is awesome...perhaps overpowered. We nerfed it the way we did the Stone Wall in that the land slowly slumps back toward its original shape after a couple hours. Black Blade has a bitchin' visual and devastating effect on the heavily armored. Initial thoughts of it being too powerful were, I think, shown to be mistaken. The Einenjahr was used again! The second time ever and was helpful when your foe is at the bottom of a terraformed hole out of combat range. Tick's lightning coil worked well, and I think the idea is solid enough to expand on now. The End fight was beastly. Jabronie took out 10(!) Cultists with a well-placed Meteor Drop. The Shadow Lord was tough stuff, even with the chain of demon binding. How to beat a foe that can cripple with one hit? Don't let it! Knock it back on the Wheel: Daze, Fang Jumper poison, and Lightning Coil. Very nice.

The party cleaned out the Temple of all but the void godling summoned in the altar room and the Behapt Athezhmode (Ancient Evil) that didn't want to fight. Then, Jabronie donned the Amulet of Control and set a small team of zombie to the task of bringing the prisoners all up to the light.

TREASURE AND POSTSCRIPT TO FOLLOW

XP! 18 for all

Herja – Hard hits, great leaps, and I loved that the Necrotesh's intimidating gestures were totally turned to poor, failed, tactics because of your strength and gravity defiance. Also, the ethics stances with Jabronie for prisoner treatment, necromancy, etc. and the use of additional skills when able returned some of the Herja flavor. 4 into Combat, 2 to Defensive skills. 12 additional skill points. 4 toward Additional Skills (1:1 ratio, remember) as you feel justified.

Jabronie – Jabronie sure stepped it up this time as far as devastating effects. That Terraform and Meteor Drop were powers intense and novel for our groups. Alchemy, Magics, Melee...Only human, right? 4 into Magics, 2 into Combat Skills, 2 into Defensive skills. 10 other points. 4 toward Additional Skills (1:1 ratio, remember) as you feel justified.

Tick – Good to have you with us again when it wasn't just one combat for the session. You are still quiet – both character and player – but I know part of that is you and part is comfort with the system and your character within the game. We need to create the Jacob's ladder for you for distance. 4 into Equipment techs, 2 to Tinker, 2 into Defensive skills. 10 other points. 4 toward Additional Skills (1:1 ratio, remember) as you feel justified.

Trélok – Loved the man in his element. The image of you just walking down the hall in the darkness, completely invisible to the cultists, was creepy and amazing. Glad you brought out the Black Blades to hammer distant, armored foes. 4 into Scouting Skills, 2 to Combat, 4 to Magics. 8 other points. 4 toward Additional Skills (1:1 ratio, remember) as you feel justified.
Last edited by James on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

Nasnuhull - Treasure Haul

Postby James » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:19 pm

TREASURE!!!
The party cleaned out much of the temple. Everything that seemed valuable that they could remove in a timely, safe manner was taken out with the prisoners. Here is the haul, if there was something that you saw that you wanted to take, let me know (i.e. barbed rings, bodies, torture tools), and anything you don't want to carry, just don't write down – or cross off this list of printed.

Tick was able to create a new pack for Jabronie using his old one and Shadow Weave cloth. This new one has slightly greater space within than without, resists elemental effects on a small scale, and has compartments made in and out to divide important parts and allow easy external access to often used equipment.

• Lesser True Void – wrapped within a container of Shadow Weave engineered by Jabronie, Tick, and Trelok.
    Shadow Weave robes for each player, and one for each prisoner.
  • 2 yards Shadow Weave clothCurse-Sewn Schematics – for the creation of a Earth/Fire Curse-Sewn undead. 3 meters of 10-inch wide scroll.
  • Grave Soil – Dozens of tins labeled with the names of cities across the Realms, but mostly within Tenpat and the Demonlands (Thulyet and Drailur). Each has two small, gold, be-runed coins within.
  • Deadening Dust – 6 square meter coverage, 6 liters. Lessens elemental and explosive effects on things it covers or contains. Reduces damage by half. Can cover armor, skin, tents, etc.
  • Yellow Fungus Spore – 6 liters. Absorbs liquids, even corrosive liquids. Each liter absorbs 4 liters without changing size. Used to carry liquids, clean spills, remove poisons/acids.
  • Bone ash – Barrels and Barrels of bone ash found in one of the previously unexplored rooms. With it were barrels of salt and some combined forms labeled, “Grave Salt”
  • Alchemy/Arcane Components – 40lbs of ingredients for many popular poisons, obscure ones, and many that are bizarre, unidentified components, seemingly of Dark/Death/Chaotic nature. Includes:
    Mundane: grey thorn, grey ivy, ironwood shavings, sand viper venom, psychoactive ivajorn seeds, bloodthistle milk, locusta shell.
    Arcane: powdered undead bone; demon/dragon/animal teeth, hair, blood, bone; voidsteel shavings; water from Well of Oblivion; moldering dead fungus

I think you have figured out or been told the effects of what you have found with the exception of:

• Swords of Demon Slaying: Full-tang jagged obsidian blade handled with dragon bone and wrapped with tendon for grip. Despite the materials, the look is not necromantic, but rather savage and primitive. +2 melee vs. demons. If used to self-injure wielder; 1 round armor piercing per 7 damage accepted from sword. Made as broadsword or longsword.

(This is the prettiest post I have ever done)
James

Politics on the Trail

Postby James » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:28 pm

The Ex-Prisoners of the Requiem of All Suns
Spring 58

The intention of this adventure was to be a counter-point to the last. Destroying the Temple and vanquishing the demons and people within made for an awesome time, but almost solid combat. This time, it was skill challenge after skill challenge with virtually no combat worth the name.

We started out with the party having just left the Temple. They had all their loot piled to one side and all of the prisoners (near to dead, poisoned, comatose) were near the loot as the rain was about to fall on the barren ruins within the giant summoning circle that girdled Nasnuhull. Here were the conditions as presented to the party the minute we started.:

• 5 died on the trip to the surface (including 1 of the 2 archmages) and it seems that all are in peril of immediate death without another dose of the coma drug or a cure. 27 remain.
  • Every 15 minutes, 2d8 people die.
  • An immediate Medic 10 can re-stabilize a comatose victim, but only one victim can be stabilized per medic. This returns them to their previous condition; no better, no worse.
  • 5 doses can be made from the components found in the Temple
  • New components can be harvested from the jungle-like forest around the ruins. This requires 15 minutes and Wilderness 7. For every 1 beyond the 7, another dose worth is harvested.
  • The cure, named “Jabronie's Juice,” requires 15 minutes and an Alchemy/Tinker 16. A maximum of 5 doses can be brewed at once because of the amount of attention required.
Then told about the type of people they had and told to make their call. This excerpt from my notes illustrates what info they had. (the bold is what they were told, the rest was for me)

Mostly, the group is human...mostly. Notably among the prisoners:
  • Archmage wearing woolen clothes, scarred with Dark runes across her body. Shala Stellrune is a master rune smith from the Hearthlands of Ront captured far from home while on the job for a Lontish lord. She is angry, bitter, and uninterested in group politics.
  • A crow Ahrlen with half-plucked feathers. Karak is a hunter for the Lezra tribe; human savages that live high in the Elsen Mountains. He has never met another Ahrlen and was considered to be divinely touched, not of a different race. Although arrogant, his honor binds him to help see the others out of the Mountains. Wilderness 13, Melee 9.
  • 2 small Tikaset bat-totems. Jarvis and Eesal speak Lesyng poorly. They know only their caves and a single valley in which they hunted. They are close, scared, and sad and badger Karak often about help finding their home. Perception 8, Sneak 10, Melee 6.
  • Werewolf frozen in mid-shift. Claw is a vicious, manipulative person. He is pragmatic and clever. A lone-wolf to his core, he will leave the party at his earliest convenience and will steal if he decides to. Wilderness 13, Scouting 13, Melee 13 (unarmed, sword, dagger).
  • Cultist kid. Unable to remember his name. The only child of the whole gathered mass. Seems to have blocked out the events of the Temple and now seems to have adopted Herja. Unskilled, but has Skill Cap of 7 to spend for.
    Possible survivors: Jack, Multrack, Clare, Lochlin, Campras, Matt, Julia, Stram, Romul, Kahn Diamondeye, Twigs of Lona, Bal'shaz, Wulrat, Zykes, Saras.

(yes, Claw is based on Beach's, Qla, character)

In the end, they were able to save 11 of the 27. All of the unusual ones were the first to be saved, then the others as able. From that point on, the party was surrounded in politics, mystery, murder, and frustration. Many great encounters culminated in a cave in from which they had to rescue themselves and other survivors as the clock ticked down on their suffocation and the summoning of great demons.

I loved it. I had good feedback from the players. I have the full notes for the adventure if anyone else wants to run it as well. A blast guys! Thanks!

XP 10 total
2 of Additionals (some specifics for additional skill uses, not the only ones you may spend on.)

Herja – Your frustration with games and people's inability to seek logic over pathos was fantastically in character. That you choose to save Kahn after all he was doing was a testament to your character's divine nature. 2 to Intimidate, 2 to Grit/Auto/Dodge. Other 6 as you wish.
Also, 2 for additional skills:
Lyricist: Can impart morale bonus to non-combat skills like medic, autonomy, charm, etc. Opposed by a slightly reduced version of the task's difficulty.
Pedagogy: Can teach another a known skill or task over 1 day, grant a +2 bonus to that skill. Difficulty set considering the learner and skill/task.

Jabronie – You just want to hang out. Jabronie still seems to hold to more of the naïve trust that died within Herja. I love how you are impressed by the skills of the others and just “go with the flow” even when Herja is trying to argue down stupidity and deceit from Kahn, Saras, and others. 2 to Empathy, 2 to Tinker, and 6 more.
Also, 2 for Additional Skills:
Schmooze: Not Charm. Able to start and hold conversations even with the taciturn or guarded. Opposed by Empathy.

Trelok – Scape goat that refuses to be around for accusations. Your disappearing act is the kind of thing that makes characters remembered long after their time. Good scouting, spying, and sensing, but otherwise didn't have a lot to do because there was little to kill. Imps and wimps. 2 to perception, 2 to Void.
Also, 2 Additional Skills:
Sculpt: Finally used beyond backstory. Can be used to Lore carved art and architecture.

Tick – Sorry if you felt frustrated that you didn't get to use your net or to do a great deal. Social skills become important at times, even if it is just to defend yourself. Not going to force any on you because your character may just be totally dense to social dynamics. You will hook yourself up in the city with the batteries once you invent them. 2 to Grit, 2 to Perception, 6 more where ever.
Also, 2 for Additional Skills
Cooking: Can be used to help supplement an extended Medic check. +1 per 5 of roll.
James

Postby marlin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Fascinating story you've gotten wrapped around us!

I think the cave-in scenario was really neat. I found the imagery really immersive, of us frantically digging out unconscious bodies from the rubble and trying to stabilize them while others of us battle imps in the darkness a mere three meters away! Really puts a party's organization and teamwork skills to the test (and frankly we could have done better).

Scrooge MacDucking in the dirt with 1-Ton Strength was, of course, the only way to save people in this case, but might be too generous a mechanic for the scenario in general. Are there explicit rules for digging/burrowing in the book yet? Leads me to thinking about Mole abilities; and also, of adventuring through chronically unstable subterranean terrain... what a ripe scenario.

Anyway, the campaign is super sweet! I can't wait to get back to Development though -- these people exhaust me! ;)
"Questions are a burden to others; answers, a prison for oneself."
marlin

Postby James » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:51 pm

There are no specific mechanics in Mayhem for that. Also, I have never seen such a thing in any of the games I have played or looked through. It just isn't done enough to justify the use of space and consideration. Still, I agree that the McDucking is too much if that is the visual. A Valkyrie with 16 Str and 1 Ton seems alright for me to shove herself through the small boulders of the cave in...though maybe with -4 instead of -3.

You guys should get back to Development next time fairly soon. There are only a few loose ends to tie up with the people and the encounter. Where was Karak during the night? How did Saras get away? Where is Wulrat? How did Claw know to come help? Why did Lochlin poison the food? Very interesting....but hopefully not long in the telling. 35ish days left if you follow the route Karak described to Tick.

I looooove the idea of a Mole Totem. In fact....there is one. I have declared it! They are an obscure people, and rarely seen. They live in the Gnome Posting area. Maybe the have a lot of fights with tremors. What do you think would be their abilities?
James

Postby ben » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:42 pm

haha, do you remember my imaginary mole character from 4th grade. I was so caught up in his character I even wore a glove around. He was loosely based on a gopher in WInnie the Pooh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyuneTX ... re=related Here is the link. Start at about 7 minutes for some good times.

As far as tick and social skills are concerned. Maybe I will go to the library and read some self help books on interpersonal skills. It was difficult but I hope you at least appreciate my efforts of making others gifts to try to win their friendship.

I know I learned optics and another skill by flying with the birdman. Maybe I should start taking my character sheet with me so I can brainstorm better. I was also thinking I may try to invent some digging tool, but maybe that won't happen often enough to justify. So many tool ideas such limited carrying strength I guess. I guess that is what a shed is for. :)
ben

Tick and His Ways

Postby James » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:54 pm

I loved Tick's attempt to befriend Zykes. We laughed hard at the wooden breastplate. I certainly didn't mean to be insulting and apologize if I was. I just loved the way he interacted with others. It really fills out the party. Herja is direct and suffers little idle talk, Jabronie can schmooze for hours, and Trelok simple chooses to never interact. You are the perfect addition in that way. Unfortunately, books alone do not make one a better conversationalist. Practice (and investment in relevant skills) is the way to go. Speaking of which, I am going to start a thread about how social combat works in the proper part of the Forum.

My mentioning of the optics was not as a skill or something learned, per se. It was more like a reference for allowing Tick to invent things normally not though of because he has had an experience in which he saw the need and application. He does not have to do anything with it unless he feels the need later. As for digging tools, it is not likely something needed much. You will need a shed...one that walks as well. Luckily, this party is primarily an Urban Adventure party, so a shed even stationary in the city will be helpful since they do most adventures with a little bit of notice within Development's walls.

The electric battery will not be easy, especially if you want it to be powerful. Sure, you can hire a minotaur or leeven to petal a bike for hours at your workshop to charge them (Maugh's funny thought), but likely you will need something stronger. The Steam Tanks made by the Shivering Manticore draw their power from an Elder Steam Elemental that is a prisoner trapped within their boilers and generators. The Tanks are steam stolen from the Elemental in small draws, just like the power for much of their machining equipment. You guys can try to capture an elemental yourself, or a Living Spell, or create the equipment to bottle Lightning or 3rd circle Air/Electricity magics (Heckiss Boil at the Dragon's Bile can do it).
James

Postby dylan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Social campaign! so much fun! Yeah Jabronie has some social issues, mainly incapable of not giving someone the benefit of the doubt when he first meets them. Leads him to get easily deceived and form strong enemies as well as long lasting meaningful friendships. Still, he can't help but be kind and generous, although usually taking the side of his party members over a stranger....usually.

I love how you balance things out so that we don't get sick of too much combat or not enough of it, well done! I agree with Herja though, can't help but miss home sweet home.
If minotaurs have to wear underwear around town, so should all cattle...
dylan

zap

Postby ben » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:26 am

Tick History (thanks James your last post gave me an idea.)
Tick came to Development mainly in search of power. Although Tick himself doesn't dabble in magic, he isn't so thickheaded as to never use others magic to his advantage. Tick came to development to because her heard of the use of steam tanks to power inventions. Yes Tick is an electrician by trade but I don't think he is as much of an elitist as I thought he was. So far his electrical power is underdeveloped, Tick needs to be stronger before he can become too prideful. Tick craves all knowledge but especially craves knowledge that assists him in working with his inventions. So he has come to development to learn how to harness power. Sort of an internship. Perhaps, while trying to learn Tick will pick up on some social skills as well.

Harnessing electrical power is an interesting thought...
Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to a battery or would they perform the same way as steam tanks?
Regardless of social skills Tick may learn he will always want independent and prefer to be self sufficient, so will Tick always need to rely on others harness electrical power?

Thanks for all your brainstorming with me James!
ben

Postby Maugh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:43 pm

I had an interesting thought. There are watches that use the force of someone's walking, swinging their hands back and forth, to generate small amounts of power.

What if you took a much heavier object, say a maul or greataxe, and built in a charging mechanic, so that every 5 swings or so it could charge an electric effect. Having that effect lose its charge fairly quickly would restrict pre-combat charging.

Just a thought for Tick.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

BACK IN TOWN

Postby James » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 pm

BACK IN TOWN

Our well rested and cleaned adventurers attempted to settle back in to their old lives, but were awkward in the attempt. Herja, despite her desires to the contrary, did not start up her schooling again in the likely true belief that her life is still too unstable to give her students the attention they need. Jabronie met back with his brother who is a little off, and even more xenophobic than before he left town. Macah tried to bait Herja into a fight, but lost the repartee and almost started got physical.

Meanwhile, Trelok is trying to re-establish connection with the Thraj War, or at least with Weep. So far, he did not get a response. He intends to keep his bargain (at least for now) on helping Jabronie get to Weep and take him down in the name of vengeance. Collin Dust is eager to help in killing the man who took his face, but very wary of any information that comes from the Scath.

Tick has bought property of his own out the Quarry sub-district of Out Town. Right now it is just a shack to store goods in and have as a small workshop to build his soon-to-be-legendary tech. He has plans to build a better workshop in a more secure environment and better design for harnessing lightning. Jabronie agreed to help him with excavating this planed shop. Earth Magics with two Tinkerers to shore up and secure the shifts is a good way to build quickly in a lasting way.

The ex-prisoners were given over to the Temple. They are finding their own ways to cope with being back in civilization and most feel deep gratitude to the party for the rescue and guided exodus. I will post a City Lore for them.
There are quite a few loose ends to start weaving together in the city even though it is so peaceful in the city at large.

XP
Y’know, it was kind of a bumbling about trying to re-synch with the Urban setting. I fully admit I was part of the trouble for that. However, there was little as far as specific encounters. Everyone can have 10 points to do with as they please.
James

Its my Weep-in-a-Box

Postby James » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Tattoos and Corrosive-in-a-box

I had a good time, and hope you guys did to. I hope that the tattoos are balanced well. I know Dylan was freaking a little in his passive aggressive way, but I feel the actual big battle turned the opposite direction of his compliant. Maybe we should toss a FB cost to triggering the effect? What do y'all think?

That was some skilled planning. Lots of details, sorry if I wasn't as receptive as usual to all of it just because of my difficulty running more than two or three NPCs in a fight while managing the wheel and such. It turned out well none-the-less. Collin got to help in the fight, even if he himself did not get to strike at Weep. The Shojokwa Spirit mask was helpful to the combat. The tree animation and Heal II were planned, but I decided on what the third would be in the moment, I hope it wasn't disappointing. It was to me a little because the flavor was more enhancement Spirit magics.

I am glad that ol' Stergy was a surprise for you. I had some fear that you would think about meeting him if you were alone outside the city. Better to have him just show up and make everything suddenly seem so much harder. You guys held your own very well. I think maybe that Weep should have made better use of his surroundings to avoid being hit, but I felt that I ran Stergwyr effectively and with the attitude and actions in character for him. Herja re-discovered the joys of her fist in an enemy's face and I liked to see the hurling of spiritual-wrought weapons. I think this was the first time Trelok hid in fear of his life for the first time, quite a change from hiding to mock others' perceptive abilities or to find opportunity to deal more effective death. Tic did a masterful job with his Tinker checks and you all had great ideas on how to put his skills to the test. Love the new house, excited to see it furnished. Jabronie had a very different sort of fight. Almost none of it was aggressive. The bear-blocker and the Befriend usage was crucial for the survival of the group.

It was also a good opportunity for me to test the balance of the Skill Caps. Weep was 3 over you and was okay on his own vs. two of you, but his defeat seemed likely in the end. Sterg was 6 over you and a freaking spiked wreaking ball. The weapons were part of the devastation, as were the very, very unlucky rolls of Collin and Herja, but still, he only took 6 damage and we didn't see him berserk. It seems that 4 is the magic number for skill difference. That's the second time that the cliffs of Development have saved you from the little monster. A more permanent solution will probably be needed for next time, and there will be a next time now that you broke one of his 'blood-drinkers' and possibly his Great Bear mount. You have to leave the Temple someday.

You further defined your roles in the city as well. Even more heroes of the city as far as the government is concerned, and you lost your one ally in the underworld of the city. I like that these characters are not in the least ambiguus and have a real place. The conversation in the Tower's hide-out between Weep and Trelok made me afraid for a moment. I really didn't know which way he was going to go, or what the consequences of his choice would mean for the group.

Thanks for playing, as always. Looking forward to next week. If you are interested, check out the open invite in the “Tactical Combat” thread if you want a tough one-shot game sometime next week

XP – 20 (still SC 11) 1 “Additional”

As we hit the new skill cost zone, I will not be assigning a number for each thing because I don't have full knowledge of your ranks. Therefore, I will say the skill, but you choose how much to add.

Herja – Combat skills are rock solid as always. Cool to see you branching out and trying new ways to deal out judgment. You also did a great deal of the planning and coordinating. Good reflection of her intelligence. Offensive Combat, Intimidate

Jabronie – So many skills, so much time to use every bit of them. A true master-of-all-trades. You used Tinker, Defensive Combat, Spellcraft, Perception, and General Social skills a lot. Choose at least 2 from there.

Tic - “Soup!” You seemed to open up a bit more last session, I liked it. Tic is going places, even if the Manticore makes him sad. Tinker, Shot, Perception, Athletics, choose at least 2 from that list.

Trelok – Cut free of the guild! Sad, I am sure, for him. The Spinning Coin, if not actually merging with Thraj War, would probably like to have you even though they would never let it be known you were with them after the betrayal of Thraj War. Sneak, Perception, Empathy, Void, Autonomy, Dodge. At least 2 from that. Less crazy damage from you this time. Sundering the sword was a very good call, I agree.
James

Postby ben » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:59 pm

think, we are really lucky to have you for a story teller. (I hope that is the right term.) One, because I thought for sure we were all dead. Who knew what that crazy beserker was going to do? Well, you did and I am glad he went to the cliff instead of hanging around. Hanging around would have equalled disaster. I really like how you make the game challenging but not impossible. I guess playing this game is like an amped up version of a choose your own adventure book. I loved those books. I appreciate as well that you let us make a weapon ghost buster style. I am really getting excited about these nets. I don't want to get away from electricity, but I think it would be fun for Tic to work on both for his inventions. Thanks for all your help with inventions as well. I for one am so grateful for Dylan's new tattoo ability. I hard time saying no to the sweet tattoo idea you made for Tic. Such a neat idea. Thanks James, I had a wonderful time.
ben

Herja Dreams

Postby James » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Herja Dreams:
She stands alone on a silent field of slaughter. The rolling hills of dead stretch to the horizon in all directions beneath a sky black with rolling storm clouds. The dead are mostly hacked and arrow studded demons and undead newly dead and obscuring whatever the terrain once was. She knows that she took part in the battle, but cannot remember any of the specifics. The wind carries the smells of death and the thrill of victory in cold gusts that whip at the shredded clothes of the fallen. She can feel the victorious dead invisibly around her witnessing the endless open grave.

Lightning flashes and thunder rolls through the clouds with deafening impact and they begin to break apart, allowing distinct shafts of radiance to pour through from on high and illuminate the devastation. One shaft seems to rip through the clouds just above and strike the ground meters in front of the Valkyrie. In the light, she sees her late mother. She rises from the ground, letting fall the head of a colossal Doom Bringer demon with a freshly cut throat. In her hand is the oversized battleaxe Herja remembers from her youth. Though she does not smile, Herja can feel the warm regard in her storm-filled eyes. She kicks the head of the demon out of her path and steps closer to her daughter.

“Herja.” She says in a voice that carries the power of a landslide, but far distant from the apparent source in front of her, “It is time to learn more of your power, daughter. You are reaching out beyond the skills of a solider and into those of a hero.” Her gaze flicks from Herja's eyes to her hand and the younger Valkyrie notices that she is holding Skeggjold. She hands the weapon to her mother who now holds none of her own. “A hero needs a heroic weapon, and your versatility serves you well in combat, but in order to brand your name into the darkness of the world, you need a tool, a symbol of your might.” Skeggjold begins to glow and as it does, the illumination seems to dissolve the demonic corpses at their feed to reveal blood soaked grass.

As Herja takes the weapon back to her hand, it feels far heavier, as if twice its size, but the weight is no burden and seems to be holding the Valkyrie as much as she holds the weapon. When her eyes lift from Skeggjold, her mother is gone and the storm has melted away into a molten sunset bathing rolling fields of razor grass in orange and red. The ground trembles as if beneath the feet of a massive army in charge. Her grip tightens on her weapon and her heart swells in the anticipation of glory. At half-remembered conclusion of her dream, the enemy forces crest the horizon and she sets her leap, Skeggjold streaming divine fire.
James

Maralith and Fevertown

Postby James » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:47 am

Maralith recontacts the party through dreamshaping. She has changed her mind now. After speaking with a couple of her colleagues, she has decided that it is time to excise the heart of Fevertown. Years ago, more good than true ill was done in the slum, but the thinks that in the shadow of the temple all the harder criminals and drug peddlers have slid to the district. Now, she believes, the cancer mages have taken over the district and have become swollen on power. She is not sure now if the Spiderman is even in power anymore.

What that means is: the cancer mages must die. Yes, the same cancer mages that she said a couple night ago she said were beyond your power. If she dared to enter Fevertown, she would be ripped apart within seconds of her crossing its boundaries. The temple tried once and failed...although at the time, they had plenty of notice and some help from allies beyond the district's borders. Still, she thinks a large raid may either make things worse or give opportunity for escape.

The sewers are the only way into Fevertown that will not automatically inform its petty lords of trespass. Without Weep, Jabronie – even with a focus to augment his power – will likely only be able to bring two or three people the secret way.

She has an associate who is able to create an elixir able to lock the body in metabolic stasis, blocking the transmission of diseases mundane and magical. As a side-effect, however, it will block mundane and magical healing. An antidote will be provided as well, of course, should healing become necessary.

The party should also be prepared to handle the gangs in Fevertown quietly so as not to draw suspicion and alarm. Also, alchemical healing may be useful to have on hand. She warns Trelok to not use magic to aid in his skulking or it may inform of trespassing, at least until the attacks start.

More than nearly other, she knows the Cancer Mages of Fevertown:

Behemoth – The only actual Cancer Mage of the Cabal, Behemoth has tumor masses across its body. Some of these masses have grown sentience of their own. While this has given the Behemoth more power through draining the masses to inert tissue, the multiple minds have fractured its sanity. It can be confused easily.

It is a master alchemist and medic and has used these skills to operate on itself frequently, and on others. It creates original drugs to sell to its dealers, but also operates on junkies without the ability to pay for their fix. No one found near the Behemoth can be assumed to be normal or weak.

The Fevered Boy – The Fevered Boy is the current master of Fevertown's sickness. He is an emaciated boy who was only 7 at the time of Project Redemption. He can instantly infect and accelerate disease around him. The mind of the Fevered Boy is twisted and is likely ruined by the other Cancer mages. If he were to be forceably healed, he would lose his power and may be able to be saved, but Maratlith thinks it safer to kill him outright.

In previous times, the role was taken by people gifted as Martyrs who would take the sickness from inhabitants and maintain the aura of the district to prevent the physically hail and city guard away. A woman named Matilda was the previous Feverqueen, but she finally succumbed to her diseases just prior to the change of Power in Development.

Bishop of Worms – He is a host to his parasitic source of power. Flies and maggots crawl over and under the Bishop's skin. These insects are Jo'Tujzh, native to the Rotwood in Thulyet and are used by mages and priests there to enhance power and feedback limit. They can only live for a few minutes away from the Bishop due to the chemicals and poison magics he injects and casts into himself.

He uses the Jo'Tujzh to spread impressions, lies, and desires with Compulsion through the buzzing of the flies. A hivemind had recently developed with the insects and the Bishop, and he was just learning Detriment magics during Project Redemption. They increase his feedback limit to well beyond human possibility.

He is physically very frail due to muscle and bone loss. Somehow, he has developed the Iron Taboo as well.

Beggar King – The Beggar King is a title given to members of an international society centralized in The Eternal City, Lonti. He is a leper with controlled progression. He is technically trapped between being living and being Undead, never healing and never fully making the cross. He has the strengths of both the living and the dead.

If left for last, he may be persuaded to leave the city and find a new begging ground. Due to his extreme age, he has been able to learn Arcane Magics and is likely to know a great deal of Detriment and Transmutation magics. Maralith is not entirely sure of his power, but thinks he may also be a an ex-Lontish Blade.
James

Postby James » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:03 pm

Uh...yeah, I posted this weeks ago, sure I did....yeah, right

11 Points for All!! you are all so awesome, you know where to put them.. Those that used your Additional skills, distribute 2 points!
James

West Lesyng Map

Postby James » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 pm

Hey guys, I was scanning some things and so thought I would add this to my pile. If you want to check it out it is the map of West Lesyng. You can see Development nestled against the mountains where the Chanalis meets Myrith's Trail.
Attachments
West Lesyng Map.jpg
(731.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
James

To Slay the Lords of Fevertown

Postby James » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:43 pm

To Slay the Lords of Fevertown
Summer, Day 4-5

No other party that I have ever played with would have been able to create two other teams to help in an adventure even if they could draw NPC friends from across the world. The brave Heroes of Development enlisted the aid of Collin Dust, Thalomew of the Holy Guard, Macah, information from Carson, Marcus, Weep, and Maralith to raid Fevertown to exterminate the dreaded cancer mages within. Armed with their resistance and wits, they tore in with Collin's team and spread out to find their objective while Macah took his crew on a different path. In the end, Behemoth went down hard under their magic and steel without too much damage to them.

Tic's nets took some of the spotlight for the imagery in this game. I loved the ensnaring of the powerful drug dealer, and then the nets that webbed onto the Behemoth and pin an arm or two at a time. We got to see some new Skeggjold power, but also a wretched run of luck on Marlin's rolls. Another great moment of imagery for me was Trelok shattering the Alchemical lights and getting covered with the glowing stuff only to slide out from the cloak and continue skulking. Jabronie's schmoozing and befriending were essential to having this go off as it did and I was glad to see him pull out utility after utility as the session progressed. Oh, and we all loved Tic's conversation with Collin Dust.

You took some great stuff from Behemoth, including his Plague Hammer. I started making a list, but realized a problem. I can list all the Alchemical things I want, but it is meaningless because you neither don't have the unwritten expanded Alchemy list in my head nor the desire to comb my lists (who would). So, I am going to wait until next time to post details because I have a plan that needs a little work. You did get some great pre-made poisons, though, and a few tools that will be useful, or bring good money at the right market.

XP if I remember right, you are 17 for the next SC, so I will leave it up to you if we do 16 or 18.

Herja – One ton strength and defy gravity = “buck-buck” champion of the world. I love the image of you holding the bigger two while they Tinker the door while Trelok clings to your muscular back all golem-like. You must spend close to half on Offensive combat. Choose 2 more from Defensive Combat, Intimidate, Athletics. Preceptor was great as Lab tech. 2 for Additional Skills.

Jabronie – Alchemist, Sorceror, Warrior, Engineer, Best Friend, Brother, etc. So many roles for Jabronie in Development. Fame grows for your party and you remain its face for the common eye. Kyle loves you for your promise, even if you will not be able to save him. You must add to Social Skills. Choose 2 or more from Magic, Tinker, Offensive Combat. 1 Additional skills

Tic – Like I said, love the nets. Excited to see what you want to do with them next, whether it is a drag-back for a netted foe, larger nets, small targeted nets, or whatever. Glad to see you branching out to the face to face conversation, even if you are new to it. You must add to Distance Combat. Choose 2 from Tinker, Social Skills, Engineering Techs. 1 to Additional Skills

Trelok – Always love the black blades. I like Trelok still finding his way. From being a man who plays every side and lives well to sleeping in random alleys and not even sure of his legal status or status to his last remaining friends. You must add to Skulking Skills. Choose 2 or more from Offensive Combat, Magics, Social skills (gossip mostly, but any). 1 to Additional Skills.
James

Interim and Setting

Postby James » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:59 pm

The party has just emerged from the abandoned tunnel to the Market District. Fevertown lays behind them, squatting horribly in the dark. Some are covered in vile liquids of anatomical and/or alchemical nature. They pause to draw in a breath of clean air, then Jabronie says that he must rescue Kyle. Although the rest of the party finds the very idea poorly timed if not outright stupid, they are used to his impulsive need to do what he feels is good. The rest of the party accompanies him to the outskirts of Fevertown, but hang back as their frontman enters the labyrinthine district. All do notice, however, that the feeling of unease and depression that usually emanates softly from the area like slow waves is gone.

With sword out, glowing, and a determined look in his eye, Jabronie attempts to pick his path. His memorization skill doesn't help him at all because both entrance and exit were done below ground. He does know, however, that if he encounters the gang near the Behemoth, they will try to kill him. As this thought settles in and he remembers the hatchet in Herja's back, he starts to turn back for the support of his friends.

As he does, he hears a yell and a call for help. The words are clear and are unmistakable not only as the perfectly sculpted sounds of a Yazata's voice, but specifically as Thalomew's. There is some distance to the origin, but it is easy to orient toward because of the power in the voice. It is edged in panic, and this startles Jabronie because the hammered iron discipline of a Yazata is a hard thing to crack. He lunges that direction, and many of the inhabitants of Fevertown seem to be quickly fleeing the origin of the voice.

The sound also carries to the rest of the party, though in a somewhat diminished way. Even so, they know from whence it came. Knowing that Jabronie is either in trouble, or will rush to help, they set off. Herja gathers them and great leaps to help, bypassing most of the obstacles in her path. Even in the rising sun, the sudden explosion is bright and intense. The accompanying sound hints that a building exploded and the bits of stone and filth thrown to the air strengthen this impression. They hear the voice again, weaker this time, but closer. At the opposite end of the District from where they fought Behemoth, the party reconvenes.

Just as the night concluded with a battle, so does the new day begin, this one perhaps greater than they can handle...
James

Postby dylan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 am

So I was thinking it would be fun to mix it up and after this next adventure, when we return, do a 1 year time lapse. I was thinking Jabronie will join his brother up north for some demon battling. This will give us a chance to say what we would have done in a years time and alter things up a bit. Maybe get more established in the city, have made new contacts, built new homes or items, moved, worked on different skills, etc. Then we can meet back up, catch up, and continue hanging out together as a party. Any thoughts?
If minotaurs have to wear underwear around town, so should all cattle...
dylan

To Slay the Lords of Fevertown, Part 2

Postby James » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 pm

To Slay the Lords of Fevertown, Part 2

No hurdle too great! The party arrived in time to save Thalomew, Collin, and Macah from death at the hands of the Bishop of Worms and his get. This battle went much better, I think. The challenge was much more matched than with the Behemoth.

[A lesson that I learned as a Sstorytellerant is that even a small handful of near-skill cap minions makes a boss fight much, much better. A boss fight should be against one with strange powers and a SC slightly higher. Between this and the Stergwyr battle, I can see a good fight is at 3 above SC so that the players are forced to use whelming and terrain and tactics to take the boss down, but a single boss isn't as good at blocking access to him to all characters and forcing them to divide their efforts. I think it will be very, very rare for me to try to make a single boss because they are difficult to balance abilities, hitpoints, damage, etc. in a memorable way. (a good boss should also be memorable in other ways, of course).]

Success in Fevertown, then! Fevered Boy saved by the Temple group, the Bishop knocked over with combined effort, Behemoth taken down with relative ease, and the Beggar King persuaded to leave, or so he said. The only possible hitch with the Beggar King was a moment of Macah struggling to reign in his temper (and pride after being saved). Collin didn't even have to be shocked out for once!

I saw some great play and great thinking from all of you. I am interested in seeing where the characters go. It is only too bad that most of their fights are away from the public and known only by the Temple for the sake of them being known to the city (and Spinning Top). The arena fights help, though. What fate awaits Trelok if he is captured? What does Bal'Shaz really know and what are his intentions? How real is Tic's shop idea and can he keep Kahn's fingers out of the cash drawer? What is the deal with the “Temporary, honorary, Pituke” from the Manticore? What is the future of Fevertown now that the Cabal has been disbanded? Lots of questions for the party.

XP – 21, pushing you to... SC 12! (the end of Charisma and Steel's career)

I could do the assignments, but I think I am past the point where I can remember where people are with their various skills and I am sure you all have the best idea of what you did and want to shore up. Remember, in the tradition of Alchemy, Skeggjold and new Einenjahr skills, I welcome input on your inventions for techs tailored to your characters. I will assign to you guys if you want, just felt a twinge of apathy/resistance last time.

I will post treasure next post.
James

Behemoth's Treasure

Postby James » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 pm

BEHEMOTH'S TREASURE

I have been weighing options and as much as I want to, I cannot dedicate the time needed to list components for all the Alchemical things I have made. While I plan to do this in the future, I have decided to assume you sold the components to “Ol' Cyclops” and kept only the following:

Plague Hammer – Enormous mace with a steel shaft and a head of Rot Iron. The design of the mace is such that hits press tiny needles into the skin and inject a single dose of poison per hit. Can hold 6 liquid doses for this purpose. A successfully parried attack presses down hidden plates and releases a dose of vaporized poison within a 1 meter range. Can hold 6 doses

2 hands ------ 1,2 range ------ +1 Melee ------ -1 Parry ------ Amp 6 ------3d10 ------ Slow ----- Str 14

Void-Crushed Steel Syringe – As syringe, but able to hold any substance and nearly indestructible.

Advanced Medic/Torturer Kit – +4 to Medic and Torture (Intimidate) skill

Elementalist Gloves – Able to hold extreme elemental materials including elemental eyes and lesser true forms.

Deep Flask – Uses Yellow Spore with elongated vial. Can hold 3 doses of same or different solutions in single vial.

Vapor Demon
– Attacks up to 5 of targets with no more than 3 meters between one and the next. 3d8 Acid Damage Grit 24. Thrown skill with range 5.

High Components – Eye of Fire, Eye of Plant, Eye of Water, Tormentor Teeth, Oracle Eyes, Frost Maggot Eggs.

Concussion Munition – 5m burst, 6d10 damage. Damage reduced by 1 die per meter from epicenter. All affected targets: Grit or be deafened for 1 hour and knocked prone. The blast rips through wood, stone up to 1 meter thick, and metal of 4 inches. Dodge DC (26)

Drugs, Components, Potions, and Poisons sold to Cyclops – total of 60 gp.
James

PreviousNext

Return to Organizing Games