East Neiral Group

Post details on ongoing games, report progress here, or look for a game here.

East Neiral Group

Postby Maugh » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:38 pm

All right. This group was formed by Reed, Robbie and myself, mostly because James was busy, but also because Reed and Robbie had some folks they wanted to bring so that they could try things out. I DM'd it, and Reed, and robbie played, as well as Matt (my guest,) Matt, (who brought this guy?) and Elisa, Robbie's sister. (Name's right?)

Anyway, good times. Sorry if my brain's a bit scrambled. I should have written down everybody's character names. The game took place just outside the city of Ricter, with the Salvaran empire looming large on the western horizon, with the relative safety of the city to the east, overlooking the insland sea. The group had the choice of choosing to jump with either side, or even just high-tailing it out, but they chose to try working for the Salvaran empire. They proved to be nice enough, and have now offered them a bit of work, provided they can prove themselves competent.

Matt the new Matt played a werewolf, which I think he enjoyed. His character was a bit of a brute and quick to dive into a fight, as werewolves should be. He did show a healthy sense of self-preservation, however, in not wanting to get in over his head with the military. His shining moment was taking a crap-ton of damage while you were hunting that 5-horned buffalo thingie, and then going into the rage and tearing into it, despite the potential for death. Matt was proud of his trusty, rusty shovel, the only tool that seemed close to a weapon. He has since replaced it with a greataxe, though the shovel was pretty iconic.

Reed played a Dryad with plant magics, and was also the intellect of the group. He spent his combat serenely firing off needle magics, and healing up afterwards, as well as providing easy answers to most of the non-combat challenges. His lore was invaluable in finding out about the impending siege, and in navigating the region in general. Tons of fun. I can see him being a level-head in a group that might otherwise be prone to rash actions and getting neck-deep in trouble.

Elissa played a Teh'Rahl lioness. She was exceedingly sneaksy and took pride in helping them hunt out the buffalo-thing that you all fought. Her role in the group was that of the scout, and she seemed to enjoy that. She plays a lot like Aubrey does, which is fun. The fact that she had two swords meant that she could arm the party, when they seemed a little down on their luck.

Matt -the- Matt, Kal-Matt played a fighter of some sort, who used the femur for a mace. Don't remember much more than that. Matt went the skill route, I think, playing up bunches of skills rather than going heavy into abilities. At least that's what I remember.

Robbie played a charismatic Soul Thief. His shining moment was climbing up on top of the buffalo's horns, trying to get on its back. A kick in the eye helped put it down. "Can I touch you?" Was taken out of context, with little to no explanation. Riotous.

Anyway, the group ended trying to confront the Sphinx, which showed some irritation at having to deal with humans and their ilk. The group feels a little outclassed, but they're fairly clever, so we'll see how it goes.

My favorite moments were when you all got hustled by that Salvar Scout, and when Elissa's Cat and the same scout were in the sneaking contest. Rock. We'll have to plan this group again soonish. I had a blast.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: East Neiral Group

Postby Maugh » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:48 pm

Round 2.

So, the group caught up with the Sphinx, who quickly retreated into his cave, where he had a trap-puzzle laid out for them. I am for sure going to be using that puzzle again with other groups, so I won't spoil it here, but I rather enjoyed it. I can't help but think that it would have been a very, very different encounter if anybody had any really long-range attacks.

Reed's dryad was exceedingly useful in his plant magics. You all would have failed three times over if he hadn't had the healing available.

Matt Prime took some serious risk in going back to pull the lever, and his eventual betrayal set a cautious tone for the group. His decision made a lot of sense, but a couple of really bad rolls, (1, 1, 2,) sealed his doom. Another one bites the dust. Maybe his next char will be ever-so-slightly more team-oriented.

Matt New soaked damage. Soaked a LOT of damage. As a werewolf, this was important. He got to rage twice, which helped with some of those final movements.

Robbie was kind enough to test the limits of the puzzle, and was therefore smacked down, as an example to all. Still, he had the guts to test those limits again and again, until he was on the very verge of death. Gutsy. His soul thief was able to land the group quite a bit of treasure, again at his own personal peril. Stealing souls is a tricky and risky business.

Thanks for playing everybody. I really appreciate your coming all the way out to Riverton to game. It turned out to be quite a stellar session, so I hope everybody else had as much fun as I did. (Which was a lot.)

Oh, and the post-game dominion was awesome. I feel like Matt and I were sort of dominating the game, which is unfortunate for Robbie and Reed, who were just trying it out, but it is a fairly skill-based game, and you guys picked up on it very quickly. Reed's exponential progress in learning the strategies would put him up on top in no time. Hopefully we can play again sometime to give him that opportunity.

So yeah. Thanks again, all.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Reed » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:18 pm

I have really enjoyed this campaign so far. The social stuff has been really fun though I worry that we are headed for some trouble in the demon city!

Robby and the Matts seem to be similarly impulsive and danger-seeking, perhaps I can convince Alyssa (sp?) to join my level-headed cause and protect the party from destruction.

The battle in the arena was really fun and it was cool to see how our characters' different abilities played out. Robby and Alyssa, you guys put up a great fight! But it will be nice to fight alongside you in the future. I can't wait to get our ship and explore some pirate islands!
Reed

Postby Maugh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:14 am

More fun in east Neiral. This group has certainly taken a turn for the darker side of things.

So, the party's PVP combat caught the attention of a demon named Ruthless Gahl, a fiend who offered to pay them to kidnap a Noble Vraaj's daughter. The group, with a self-proclaimed death-wish, decided to comply, not only to make some cash, but also for the sense of adventure.

The Vraaj they were meant to kidnap was named Sabrina, and her family deals in undead, selling rare undead creatures from their country estate in the glass fields for exorbitant amounts of money. Their daughter is pushing three centuries of age, but due to the slow aging of the Vraaj is physically and emotionally about 12. She was said to be working in the Gardens, practicing her spell-craft.

The group wanted an in to the estate by riding in the wagon that brings in their weekly supplies. In order to do that, they had to defeat, (okay, let's be honest, murder,) a trio of gorgon tradeswomen. The group has certainly taken the demonic mentality to heart, and their ruthlessness knew few limits. Giving the Gorgon a haircut was particularly harsh.

Robbie bought some flash-bang explosives and some higher-quality destructive explosives, and used it to detonate the cart, giving Matt-2 the chance to use his newly-acquired Long-step bracer. (Should be boots.) to get inside the compound from the other end of things and to face down Sabrina while his compatriots built more distractions in the front.

Sabrina was found practicing her magic, (on living slaves) in the gardens, and after a short skirmish with the Matt, she was put into a fire-proof bag and hauled out of the compound. (By her unconscious horn.)

The rest of the group escaped out the front, to a confused guard and Vraaj family, and that was it. To initial appearances, it looked like a group of food deliverers blew up their cart and ran away for no apparent reason.

One successful Vraaj-napping.

Payment was received, in a well-organized box of gemstones, and the group went on their merry way.

Of course, this is a Demon city, and slights like this are not likely left ignored...

Good luck, guys!

Matt'. 2 points in ice magics, 2 points in grit, 2 in willpower, 9 free.

Matt-2 Already assigned yours, I think.

Robbie- 2 for autonomy, 2 for grit, 2 for Melee, 9 free.

Reed- 2 for plant, 2 for grit, 2 for shot. 9 free.

Looking forward to next time. I think I'm going to post a few magic-item shop-lists in the Demon city, so that you guys can do some shopping. This will happen before next time.

Laters!
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:39 pm

So, I talked to Reed and Robbie, and I think that next thursday is going to work for this group. James would be more than welcome, of course, to play.

Hope that works. If there are any conflicts, contact me or post here and we'll work it out.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:52 pm

So, another fun session last night, Matt hosted, and we had robbie, matt, matt, clint and myself. Good game, if a bit short. This party is a little out of control, though. They leave a wake of destruction pretty much wherever they go, and their moral compunctions follow along the lines of "whatever I feel like at the time." Chaotic Neutral, much?

The group did some shopping, and was wandering south along a few towns. (I'll bring a map next time,) which were deserted. Few clues as to why. Got to a big, empty city, and fought a wyvren. pretty spectacular fight, actually. I gave it a skill cap 15, although it had a lot of weaknesses, in order to set the party up against something that would require a bit of tactical forethought to work against. Worked well. The party did distraction and run-and-hide tactics, which made for a good fight, with a lot of emphasis on the ranged combat. Matt did get the final hit with the heavy axe, though.

Anyway, for the magic items that you guys were looking for, you cna follow the magic item shops, and I will tery to post some more in the city you are in. If you're looking for something specific, let me know, and I will craft something along the lines of what you are looking for.

Rock. See you folks monday. As always, if anybody else wants to join us, or if you guys want to invite someone else, (paul, etc.) There's always room for one more.

Favorite quote: "Those bastards have it coming. I'm not naked any more, but I can still beat them with my shovel!"

It shocks me that there is a context, somehow, where that makes sense. Truly, shocking.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby James » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:48 pm

I get to join y'all tomorrow. I am going to go with a Necrotesh wielding scythe and void. Missionary class of the Reaper Cult in the Necromantic Kingdoms. Never messes with torture or half finished actions. If somethign must die, he kills it, but the body is to be buried and not desecrate. It will be used when the Kingdoms spill forth and the corpses littering the world to be raise need to be in prime condition for his masters to animate. He is cold, pratical, and very old. He distains waste and destruction that is not goal-directed.

Have some new materials for items to post. Plan on using them. If I have time, will get them up before the game, otherwise will run them by rob
James

Postby Maugh » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:06 pm

So, We gamed last night, and to say that it was fun would be a heck of an understatement. With all the folks that were there, it felt like an all-star cast. We had some epic combat, fighting a stone dragon and a handful of soldiers, the game was dangerous and exciting. We had a couple of big hits, both for and against the party, and most of the highlights were in the combat, but there was some great playtesting as well:

James played the necretesh, first time I've seen that one used in its current form, and it performed quite well. The scythe tech "double strike" might be a little overpowered, except that he was throwing 16's again and again and again, so there is some luck in that. It might need to be tweaked, rather than nixed. Any thoughts?

Matt's ice magic ran into some minor hitches, just some rules clarifications on the frost, ice wall, and aqualimb spells, which seemed to perform well. It looked like a fun character.

Reed was playing his dryad, whose highlight was his near-death experience. I suspect he'll be leaving the party soon.

Clint's Blighted is an easy excuse for me to mess with the party and pretty much everybody else. Love it. A couple of good hits got in, but I may need to check the clarification on stacking rules with him, and might need to take a look at the wording on some of the abilities that he's been using.

The other Matt played his werewolf Qla, who was habitually inappropriate, and through force of charisma was able to take control of the party much of the time.

Anyway, I had a really great time. Thanks for coming everybody. We'll try to play again next week or the week after, depending on folks' schedules.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:50 pm

(Moved Bread's post to Items Board. Check it out there.)
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:42 am

Gaming tonight! See you then!
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Uh, I mean thursday. Yeah. Thursday. Totally. Heh.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Beach » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:19 am

Oh no! Did I miss game night? I thought robby told me it'd be tonight?
Beach

Postby Maugh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 am

No, you didn't miss it. It is tonight, at Matt's place. Hope to see you there.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Ysmir » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi, this is Adam, friend of Beach or Matt-2 or uh werewolf guy. Any way, I hope this is the right place to ask if I may join in? I have a Fiend character I'd like to try out. Though I'm not sure what skill caps and skill points I should use to stay competitive. I'd like to play on Mondays if that works, if not, I'm still flexible.
Ysmir

Postby Maugh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:02 pm

sure! We'd love to have you join up. I hink they're at a skill cap of 9. We usually play on mondays, but this week we're meeting on thursday. Ask Matt-2 for location/time info, or else ask here with contact info and I'll give you a call.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:15 am

Gaming tonight! I will be hosting! See y'all there!
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:13 am

So. There are a couple of things that I'd like to say about tonight. I did have a great time, and we had a good group, but there were a couple of things that bugged me.

First off, I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, but I'd really appreciate it if people don't bring alcohol when they come over here. I don't have any divine right or mandate to tell other people how to live their lives at their own house or when anybody else is hosting, and I don't want to be judgmental about people just because they make different choices of lifestyle than I do, but I'd really rather not have it here. It makes me and Aubrey both a little uncomfortable. If this means people would rather we not host, I understand. We're all the way out in Herriman/Riverton anyway, so it's significantly out of the way for everybody.

Second, we noticed something really weird after everybody left. Aubrey went to get something out of her car, and we noticed that there were very clear footprints going to and from her car from our porch, and the front windows were cleared of snow, like someone had been looking inside. The car was locked, of course, but it was very clear that someone walked out there from our porch, checked the car for something, and then came back. I'm pretty forgetful, but I am 100% positive that this was not me, and it was not Aubrey. The snow fell after we were both inside, and neither of us went to her car until well after everyone had left. I can't think of a single good reason why anyone else would need to be checking into our car. I'm not making any accusations and I'd really hate to offend anyone, but this also makes me a little nervous.

It's probably nothing, and if I'm being offensive or paranoid, then I sincerely apologize, but I just wanted to mention that something was a little off, and it weirded me out a little.

Anyway. Done rambling. Sorry for being negative. Thanks for coming everybody. It was a great game, with some very spectacular moments. Aubrey and Matt got in a little fastball special, Aubrey also got a chance to use her Animal skill, and we even got to see James's new demon. It was a blast. Thanks for playing.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Ysmir » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:23 am

Ouch! (Just kidding) Sorry about the beer, that was my idea. I am very happy that you had us all over for a great game! And I feel terrible for imposing. But a man's home is his castle, and I'm not put off by house rules.

As for the strange tracks and evidence of car mischief... funny story really. So Beach and I stopped for hot dogs at a gas station on the way out. And he gave me the instruction to NOT lock his car or we could get locked out. After the party we tried to get in the car, to no avail. The car was undoubtedly locked. We stood there for a moment to examine the situation and reflect upon the possible scenarios that could have led us to this unfortunate state, and more importantly, how to get out. Then just as Beach was about to go back to the house to ask for a wire coat hanger to use to get the door unlocked, it dawns on him. " Is this even my car? " He says to me. And sure enough, one parking space to the right, under a thin layer of snow was his Grand AM. Elated that the door opened as expected, we got in and out of the cold. We let the car warm up for a moment as we talked about how funny it would have been, to have the owner come out as we tried to use the wire coat hanger on their car, or only figure it out once the car was unlocked. The irony to me, is that our perception failed so badly and yours was just about right on. That is to say, we walked out your door, strait to your car, brushed some snow off( I had hoped the door was just frozen shut), and then left. So in addition to my previous apology, I'd like to say sorry for worrying our gracious hosts with thoughts of late night automotive intrigue. But now I have yet another layer to the story that I would have never known if you hadn't mention it.

P.S. Your house is way out there. But the distance was made up for in hospitality. You are a fun DM, and I hope you aren't put off of hosting on my account.

P.P.S. umm. I only logged in to see how you might have depicted the events of the session. But this is a good way to understand each other and help build a working group dynamic.
Ysmir

Postby Maugh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm

Heh. Sorry for being so slow to get back to this crowd. The weekend is a black hole of work and the weekday is a combination of sleep recouperation and reading material for school. It's been quite difficult to keep up.

You're right. I probably should have posted a little more about the events. I was just a little distracted by the other stuff. The window thing makes sense, especially given the influence of substances, and we were probably a little more freaked out than we needed to be.

Anyway, I'd love to game again, and it looks like thursday (tomorrow) is once again the best night for everyone. I've confirmed with Reed, disconfirmed with james who is running his own group that day, and I'd love to hear from the other folks to see if this is convenient. If Matt can host, that would be awesome, but if not, I'd be glad to host again. We'll see what people want to do.

Anyway, I think I still need to post magic items, which I'll try to do tonight, if I get time.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Beach » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:16 am

Just curious if wan animal companione were gonna try to get our game on tonight. Qla really wants his axe and maybe try and obtain an animal companion :mrgreen:
Beach

Postby Maugh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:42 pm

I've got some homework I've got to get done tonight, but I'll call around and see when people can game later on this week.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 pm

So. My practicum starts tomorrow, which means that my weekday evenings for the next several months are going to be fairly full, at least by my current estimations. I would really like to get together for a few games at least, to help the party kind of wind down, but it is not going to be this week, and may not be next week either. I'll keep people posted, (heh. posting.) and if I get the chance, I'll give people a call.

In the meanwhile. If people still want to game, please feel free to do so without me. Matt dm'd once, and they said it went well, so we'll have to see if people are interested in jumping into something like that.

Anyway, thanks for your patience with me. We'll have a chance to game again hopefully within the next few weeks.
Maugh
Site Admin

Also a Storyteller

Postby James » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey! Also, I am a Storyteller (Mayhem DMing). If people need a game and can't get one together, drop me a line and we can do a new group, temp group, or just drop you into our regular once in a while. My regular group is currently the 6th Year of the Lord Bishop party, if interested, check it out and let me know.
James

Postby Maugh » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:49 pm

I've spoken with Reed and Matt about gaming on monday (tomorrow). I'll make some phone calls today and see if anybody else is interested. Probably gaming at Matt's.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 am

Gaming on Thursday. So far I have confirmed with Reed, Matt', Matt the werewolf, myself, and Robbie. Rumors of James coming to join us, and Matt tww said he was going to contact Adam.

Anyway.

Gaming thursday, at my place (Herriman), at 6:30. There will be fighting games, in addition to the dnd fare. I mentioned coming early to a couple of folks, but that is in the air, as I have a meeting at 5:00 in SLC thursday afternoon, and will get back as early as I can. Certainly before 6:30, but maybe not a lot earlier.

This should be rad. Looking forward to it.
Maugh
Site Admin

Next

Return to Organizing Games