[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mayhem.com • View topic - Development, 7th Year of the Lord Bishop

Development, 7th Year of the Lord Bishop

Post details on ongoing games, report progress here, or look for a game here.

Development, 7th Year of the Lord Bishop

Postby James » Wed May 11, 2011 10:18 pm

There are some things that some of the players have been itching to have their characters do that required splitting up or more time than we could dedicate in session. So, we are leaping forward a little more than a year. The following post will have a general sense of what has changed since the last session we played. I would encourage the players (read: beg) to write for me a bit of what they have done. I have a small idea for a couple of you, but don't know everything, so let me know in here and I can plan our re-start session using that info. If you have questions, or want help, let me know.

Each player hasto spend as you will, using the new progression. That way you guys have been out adventuring for a whole skill cap to reflect your adventures and you have some points to tweak yourselves as needed. Please use the new Attribute Abilities as posted on the site as you'd like, but don't pick up the ones the thread discusses as possibly unbalanced. We are going to continue the weapon tech requistes as we have been doing instead of the newer way. If you are investing more deeply in magics and wish to use some of the Arcane techs from the old book, run them by me and I am sure we can make them work.
James

Interlude

Postby James » Wed May 11, 2011 10:24 pm

More than a year has passed since the destruction of the Death Sphere. The attack coincided with other attacks that seemed to originate from the Empire of Lyrens. Through information uncovered from the Death Sphere and various undercover sources, the part of Easy Lesyng was made clear. Marcus was able to determine that Queen Senaral had been pressured by her advisers to make some action to stem the profit loss to Lyrens for use of roads and import/export taxes. The prosperous mines of the Elsen Mountains have needed to sell their quality ore and precious metals for much less than in pre-Empire days. The growing fears and sharpening tensions prompted the queen to fall in league with a shadowy cabal of powers allied against the Empire of Lyrens.

For her crimes, she was tracked down and publicly executed for the slaughter of her own people and conspiracy to create unjust war. By the Secession Law, West Lesyng's Common Council ruled the country until a new monarch was elected from the line of the old King Priest. The new King was elected on Midsummer.

Many other such plots erupted at near the same time into most of the Empire's borderlands. Small armies of demons led by summoners of Krec Shiv (Northern Lyrens) attacked the northern Holy Realms. Under the control of necromancers believed to be of Lontish origin, undead forces brought plague and ruin into Syawaly and Lake Miridil. The Doramnic Clanholds saw theft of their herds and camps built in the herd lands. All these and more were fought against by peoples in and out of the Empire and revealed to be from sources as diverse as Merchantile Guilds, monarchs, Lyrens generals and nobility, and would-be warlords trying to take advantage of the situation.

Due to the efforts of many, the battles and schemes never evolved to full war. Many times nothing but luck and clever thinking kept the fighting under control. In the end, a tense peace came from the troubles. The only continuing element of the War are the crusades into the darker parts of Lyrens from the Holy Realms of the west. Lonti, and a few similar cities, have refused to ask for aide from the Empire, claiming the issues as private matters. For their part, Lyrens accepts the military traffic so long as the crusaders otherwise keep the Imperial Law.

FRIENDS & ALLIES

Marcus Steelmind – Spent most of the last year in Nalsund working with the Common Council and a vast network of multi-national sources to unravel the conspiracy. He was glad to relinquish this role despite the challenge and has since escaped the bureaucracy and returned to his old position of High Investigator for the Church of Resverik. As best as able, he has kept track of the party and sought to gain any information they may have gathered while abroad.
Collin Dust – Remains as captain of City Watch in the Residential District of Development. Continues to reject all offers of promotion and attempts to send further afield in West Lesyng and Tenpat at large. Also working on his own in the city to keep it safe during the turbulent year. He has started on the path of a Shojokwa Spirit Talker in his own right and can use some very basic arcane magic.
Sira – Became an agent of Marcus Steelmind during the Lyrens conflict. She has kept in touch with Herja, giving her information that sometimes bordered on the prophetic. She is still avoidant in regard to her sources and has shown greater skill with her weaponry in the aggressive style taught by Herja.
Carson (ex-addict) – Carson relapsed with Serpent Greese and for a long time disappeared into Fevertown. He was caught breaking into Kamar Gardens and accepted indoctrination. He is now a member of the City Watch in Out-Town.
Bal'Shaz – Lets information trickle to Trelok regarding politics and gossip from the Spinning Coin and Thraj War Guilds. He does not offer jobs, but has allowed Trelok to keep tabs on the Guild and occasionally helps to sell his shadow-craft.
Kahn Diamondeye – Owns several small businesses and is head of the merchant guild's westward exports. While he no longer has any influence in Tick Tock's, he continues to invest in the store when able.
Maralith – After being witnessed summoning a pyroclast to destroy a division of undead at the East Lesyng border, was accused of Consorting with Demonic Forces and there is a warrant for her arrest. She has not since been seen outside of her estate and it seems abandoned. None have yet returned from attempts to investigate the estate and there is now a warded fence around the estate to block citizen access.

ENEMIES, ETC.

Stergwyr – Returned to Development is a grey vortex of magics near the Waterfall house, skin blackened and covered with third degree burns. Unable to find his prey, he soon disappeared. It is presumed that Chalice has done steady business during the Lyrens War and he was likely occupied on the riches sides of the battle fronts.
Weep – Escaped from the Temple of Traditions through unknown means during the Festival of Masks. He was caught by Collin Dust two weeks later at a noble's estate where the Corrosive had melted three unidentifiable persons. A flaw in the magic used for execution allowed him freedom once again on the following day and he continues to be in hiding.
James

Re: Development, 7th Year of the Lord Bishop

Postby James » Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Option for Trelok. I don't know if you had something else planned, but here is the end for this plot thread.
Attachments
7th Year Interlude, Trelok.odt
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
James

Postby marlin » Tue May 17, 2011 10:42 am

Herja left the Tenpat entirely, and only returned by accident. Attached is a brief (and stylized) description, as per Sestorytellerent request. Her interlude is more of psychology than of story. I can't wait to get going again!
Attachments
Herja Interlude.pdf
Herja Interlude
(42.94 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
marlin

Postby James » Tue May 17, 2011 9:29 pm

That was beautiful, Marlin.
James

Postby wolfram » Sun May 29, 2011 3:32 pm

Taking the offer from Chalice, (see James' post above). Trelok has spent the last year training for the Lahabyol. I need a little bit more info on what that requires. James what does this require?
wolfram

Postby dylan » Mon May 30, 2011 4:25 pm

7th year of the Lord Bishop
Summer Day 5
Provisions stocked, blade sharpened, and goodbye’s said… for tomorrow at first light, I reluctantly leave Development behind me. I hope to only be gone for a year, but wouldn’t be surprised if this campaign gets extended or even cut short. I’ve arranged with Kamar (herbalist) to have the alchemy shop rebuilt, with a second story apartment where I’ll be living when I return. Included in the new building will be a basement room that I’m sure I’ll find a use for. With financial help from Marcus and Taskmal, it should be completed in a few months from now.

Summer Day 28
Three weeks of solitary travel has at last brought me to the moving campaign, heading north. Macah is glad to see me, and fills me in on the details. Although he spends more time complaining about certain aspects of the plan and trying to convince me not to trust certain people here, I do get some good information out of him. We’re being led by a dwarf named Anders, and his “army” as Macah calls it, totals more than eight hundred. Spirits are high and I’m comforted by the company of others.

Winter Day 12
Haven’t had much time to write, as the battles came fast and hard. We began hitting several opposing outposts that we can easily overcome. We move fast and rest little throughout the day, and it seems that we encounter some sort of fight every couple of days. Macah is always on the front lines during battle, and makes it an obvious point to compete with the main warlords for kills. My brother and a bear totem named Varric seem to be the most bloodthirsty. Most the men joke now, but I worry for what lies ahead.

Spring Day 70
Muscles ache and my mind begs for rest as combat has been relentless. Many of our men have fallen but we continue to recruit more that join our cause as we travel further north east. I believe we are now somewhere just past the north west border of the Lyrens empire, but I can’t be sure. I’ve taken the role of a healer whenever we seem to be on the winning side of a fight. My head constantly throbs with pain, as I seem to be constantly casting plant magics to aid others. This has helped me develop my plant skills though as I learn more spells along the way. We had to pull back today from what seems to be the main demonic strong hold in this area. We plan to regroup and hit hard again tomorrow. Herja, Trelok, and Tick would be a great asset to the battle. I hope they are well, wherever they are…

Spring Day 73
The battle was won, yet no one celebrates. I consider myself lucky to be among the few who survived. I estimate around eighty survivors, myself and Macah included. Anders fell during battle, and Varric’s location is unknown. Most who care think he was killed or taken by the enemy but I suspect Macah was involved in his death. Probably said the wrong thing to provoke my brother…. Sometimes it’s hard to see him smile after I know what he’s done. I only hope the impact of our campaign has a lasting effect, and keeps many of the demonic creatures and their allies at bay for some time. Most of the men are scattering back to where they came. Macah tells me that this is what he was born for and is going to continue fighting, and search for another campaign to join or even lead. He says that no matter what happens, he will see me again. The look on his face tells me that he is telling the truth.
I begin my long journey back to Development this evening. Although I will be alone and it will take me well over a season to get home, the excitement of seeing my friends again will drive me on without fail.
If minotaurs have to wear underwear around town, so should all cattle...
dylan

tick tick...

Postby ben » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Tick Tock goes the clock and this place about to blow! Man I have missed this. You are all so creative. Dylan I loved the first person narrative and Marlin your words were so poetic. I don't know if this post will be way to late to be of any benefit but at least for me it will be beneficial. James if you find the time to read this please tell me if I have gone past my bounds for a years time. Driven by by a passion for electricity and probably more importantly general and venomous spite for the Shivering Manitcore. After saving enough money, during the summer season Tick is able to hire a few unwitting servants to aide him in capturing the a lightning elemental. Tic is able to keep his recent capture heavily guarded and well protected so far, he uses it to charge his batteries and the batteries of his customer. Although Tic's passion for life has never been found in socializing he has found that his passion for the science for electricity, now has the power to inspire people to support his endeavors, and if not inspire then at least make them feel dumb enough to shame them into financial support. Tic was even honored with a amateur business award after convincing a few of the wealthy class land owners to dip deeply in their savings to invest in his company. Yes, Tic did win this award while Kahn still was profiting from the business but the merchant guild saw it as an achievement none the less. Entering the spring time Tic's business interest started to wane and he began to deeply immerse himself in the invention of his lightning coil, he aches for the return of his friends and spends any free time he has at the shoot range hoping to still be an asset with his net gun.
Items sold at Tick Tock's
-electric fence
-Action figures (both wind up and an electric, the latter being much more expensive.)
-LIghtning rod chargers (not as effective as the lightning elemental but cheeper in the long run.)
-Batteries (adapted to all the items found in the shivering maniticore, and significantly lighter.)
-Light bulbs.
-Bug Zappers
-Hand shockers, electric pens
- Rough mechanical arms used to lift 5 times the amount of weight.
Free soup is served every other Sunday to customers.
ben

Postby marlin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:52 am

Herja is weighing the pros and cons of trying to establish on behalf of the Valkyries a permanent recruiting office and private training facility for would-be soldiers in the war against demonkind, serving also as a roadhouse and haven for passing sisters. The mansion above Development is just such a tempting piece of real estate, with plenty of room to spare! But would Herja's companions take issue with such a facility taking up a precious corner of their estate? Much to consider.

Regardless, Herja is quite pleased to have slain the dragon demon mutt (and is unconcerned about leaving custodianship of the other dungeon horrors to the Temple). It was an epic struggle, and all members of the group got to showcase their indispensability! She is relieved to know that her returning to Development was not a waste of time, for there is apparently always a new evil there to be harried. And what great evil yet awaits?

Marlin, meanwhile, hopes that the Wraith is still wandering around the house, because it's fun to be forced to turn Herja's blades on the others! <-- sorry for that
marlin

Postby James » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Within the ancient mines beneath the Elsen Mountains, the Protectors of Development gave evidence to their title time and again. While the demonic hordes assaulted the city walls Herja, Trelok, and Jabronie led Louie, Balshaz, and Thalamew into the labyrinthine halls and tunnels beyond the waterfall. Through summoned nightmares and deadly natural hazards, the group pressed deeper into the unholy complex than any but the new demon lord had gone in more than seven thousand years.
After two days of constant combat and cunning navigation, the heroes found themselves in the Master's Hall. There, exhausted to their limits and some carrying near mortal wounds, they did battle with the liche Behapt Athezmode, Joh'hwuhdih Zheehwi, and destroyed the operations leeching the dregs of Rot Iron from the native stone.

With the Demon Lord's reigns broken, the control of the army splintered and the chaos in the ranks quickly turned the tide of war to the advantage of the city's defenders. Within hours of the defeat of Joh'hwuhdih Zheehwi, the army was turned from the walls and the remaining pockets of demons fled the area or destroyed one another with the typical misdirected fury of their kind.
The travel ways in the Development region still see small skirmishes with the small shreds of the demon army, but most of the survivors returned to the the western blight that was once the Holy Realm of Olshono. Evil never rests and demons trapped in Tenpat jockey for power in the tainted strongholds that once shone with the greatest divine radiance in the west.

Out-Town was almost completely razed. Farmland trampled and tainted with the blood and offal of the fallen. The east wall destroyed and hundreds of lives lost to the demon army in the Residential and Trade Districts. The lingering evil of the Rot Iron clings to the old farmsteads despite the best efforts of the Church of Resverik and new fields are being cut from the forest near to the Quarry. Thraj'War and Spinning Coin guilds suffered heavy losses as well in the defense of the tunnels and secret halls and in the aftermath have officially merged their power.
However, with the Chanalis flowing again, and emergency supplies finally arriving from the Southeast, the citizens were able to make a swift recovery to health and repairs began immediately. A new gate was created where the wall was broken that now allows a more integrated feel between Out-Town and the walled portion of the city. The Gate is named Tallstep Gate in honor of General Jerod Tallstep who was killed during the short, brutal siege.

Evil may never rests in the Crimson Realms, but Good will ever give answer. After the bloody victory under the mountain the heroes rode the returning Chanalis to the city in time to assist in the shattering of the fracturing army. Militia, Watch, Brotherhood, and Guard looked on as the Heroes and a rare few others took the fight to the fields beyond the safety of the walls. The bravery, sorcery, and lethality of the warriors is captured in song performed as far away as the Seven Kingdoms of Neiral and the Deep-halls of Kieraset.
When the battle was complete, the party returned to their cliff side home to rest. Blood-soaked and wounded mentally from the last few days, each found his or her own way to recover while considering what the future had in store.

Louie, having not been long with the group, felt some anger at having no payment tendered for their efforts. Although mollified by the necessity of the actions taken and the greater good achieved, he felt there was little reason to continue his time with the party as they were not to travel or seek great treasure. He spent a short time building new weaponry, developing new alchemy, and preserving slain demons through taxidermy in the workshops of the Mansion before striking off for the totemic lands of the southern Realms with 1/8 of the gold taken from the demon dragon.
His preserved demons adorn the Great Hall, Library, and War Garden. His crowning contribution to the mansion was the creation of a solution of alchemical fire and ice pepper allowing the head of Ketrezjahrs to exhale a heatless burst of fire across the library at the activation of a subtle rune (positioned near Jabronie's usual seat).
The last word of him to reach the mansion was a letter sent through Kahn Diamondeye's company in the Lesta Islands promising lore and and materials from the south. This letter has been followed by more than a year of silence.

Tic's defense of the River's Teeth during the demon assault was almost horrifying in its efficacy. The first-born of his primary elemental was drained into the intricately designed network of buried nodes and emission points killed hundreds of invaders in the two hours before it burned out. Officially giving him the greatest number of kills for a single defender. Even though the defenses burned out, the toll was so high that the Gate was ignored by the generals for the rest of the attack.
Due to the complexity of the hastily created defense, only Tic himself was able to operate the mechanisms safely. Even during the impending doom of the assault, the inventor kept to his principles and did not lend use of his better personal weaponry to the Watch or Guard...or eager Militiamen in the employ of the Manticore.
Large equipment burned out, he joined the other four Protectors of Development on the field of battle at their return. Slower when in personal combat, he functioned as the constant safe point of re-group during the combat mostly killing only those that came to him with accelerated Storm Field.
The old Tic's Tocs and Toys was razed with Out-Town, but most of the equipment (and the contained elemental) were brought inside the city before the battle. His new shop is the converted Waterfall House, once guild seat of Chalice. The site allows him use of the waterfall's energy through several disguised waterwheels, and a prime location just outside of the Temple of Tradition grounds and closer to the merchants coming from the Chanalis than the Shivering Manticore.
His strange business tactics have been serving him well and he is now a member in good standing of the Merchant Guild and has broken apart the technology monopoly of the Shivering Manticore in West Lesyng and Lake Miridil import/export companies. While the Pitukes still have a much greater share in the market, his growth shows no sign of slowing. Tic monitors the market for other tech companies attempting to utilize similar mechanics and is quick to hire skilled workers to his staff and report and shutdown unsafe or fraudulent technicians.
He owns other small enterprises that contribute to his main interest and through carefully hidden import (assistance from Kahn) has created the only real shell gold “manufacturing” industry in Tenpat. Almost all of the production from this venture is consumed by the genius himself, partially due to the extreme expense of the material. The rest, however, helps to fund his creations.
Although barely a full year has passed since the attack of the Behapt Athezmode's army and business has been swelling, he has been drafting plans for an entirely new building within the quarry where there is nearly unlimited expansion room and less red tape for building alterations and equipment of “questionable safety.”
While in business he is still aggressively competitive with them, he has made several friends among the Pitukes with whom he enjoys spending time as they are among the few he feels at ease conversing with. In collaboration with one of the Pituke Patriarchs, he is nearing completion of the first scholarly text examining the physical forces of the Realms from a non-magical perspective.
Soon after the siege, he was carefully invited to join the Mechias Death Guild with promises of endless funding and access to the greatest tools and minds in the Realms. It also included implications that refusal would likely lead to industrial and intellectual theft. With the assistance of Marcus Steelmind, the seemingly anonymous invitation was tracked all the way to Mechias Master Engineer Kilteggle Pituke, and eventually all Mechias presence in the City State was seemingly eliminated. Connections led to another Mechias Master, a demon merchant, but this merchant was able to escape arrest through a dazzling display of alchemical inventiveness and flee to Lake Miridil.
Tic retains the title of Protector of Development and keeps close ties with the others on the cliff. While he does not live with them, he created the pneumatic system that delivers mail to the mansion and the more simple elevator system accessed from the end of the street on which lies the entrance to his store/shop. A second, secret elevator system was permitted by the temple and constructed within the stone of the cliff connecting the mansion to the actual workshop.
He is always accessible to his friends when in the area and willing to help in any capacity they require. However, despite his wild success, he has very little available money at any time as he is quick to sink any profit into a new idea.

The mines nearly killed the scath many times. He delivered death quietly and quickly as well as helped to scout and guide his friends along the way. During the climactic battle with Joh'hwuhdih Zheehwi, he knew the end result would be destruction of the Master's Hall and much of the mines. He left his allies for a brief time to retrieve the small remains of the Nasnahull Lesser True Void and by the same token the crystallized God's Blood held in reserve by the demon liche. Silently, he returned to the battle and was able to save a few drops of blood from the tyrant as he fell.
Although no one saw him actually leave the melee, his absence was noted by his companions. The issue was not pressed, however, until after the destruction of the Hall and the battle on the fields around Development. He could feel the anger and resentment from his partners boring into him even as he helped scythe through the teeming masses of leaderless demons.
Once the army broke fully and the others turned to re-enter the city, the scath instead slipped away and quickly went north to the Chalice headquarters at Nalsund. There he evaluated the contracts and collected on the ones naming demon generals he and his friends had slain. In the process, he also discovered the contracts on his allies and returned to Development to warn them, sending documents ahead written in shadow-Whisperian to hasten the message. Along the way, he made a brief stop at Dragon's Bile to properly dissolute the God's Blood into a form he could use.
The others had dealt with Stergwyr in his attempt to collect on the contract created by Vas the World Maker before the messages, or scath, arrived. The glares of betrayal and reproach were heavy on the brows of the other Protectors when he arrived shortly after the combat. The alliance seemed to have run its course. After the battle his friends were clear about their mistrust of him in the future and expressed no interest in being around him anymore.
The paltry amounts of gold in the mansion tempted Trelok little as his personal fortune was many times this collected amount. Instead, he took several of the better explosives left by Louie and a few rare materials from the shop as his parting payment. There were no exchanges of threat or promises. It seemed clear that the Protectors of Development would not make any gesture to keep him from the home he helped to earn, but the scath felt it time to move on anyway.
He fulfilled his promise to his Queen by giving her the Lesser True Void and vial of Joh'hwuhdih Zheehwi's blood. Knowing that the meeting would turn against him in the end, he evaded her traps through using some of the crystallized God's Blood to fuel his defenses. Eventually, he plans to serve the Unseelie Court as a member of the Hunt in order to improve his elemental skills.
For the present, however, he has been scouting out high-payment contracts for far destinations and intends acquire a buffering fortune before settling for a few decades in the Elsen with the court. Still a part of Chalice, he has also been recruited by its master to a more elite order. Among those in the know, his name evokes terror and is the promise of death. No longer does he tether himself to other allies for more than a single mission. He is wealthy and knows many secret roads across Tenpat and the Realms to move fleetly and invisibly. In a black grotto, known only to him, he has crafted statues and scenes upon rare stone and shadows to chronicle his triumphs, victims, and secret maps.

As the spearhead of divine retribution, Herja smashed through demon after demon in the Rot Iron mines. At times, others had to go through pains to keep her activity from pulling all the demons enmasse. With Skeggjold and Vidgis, she served her calling against the tides of the Unholy. Thalamew kept to her side in the fierce melees and his divine voice bolstered her power. As always, thin attempts at battle planning were made when they had the initiative, but all thoughts of careful strategy disappeared when the demons showed their horrid forms. As always, Jabronie and Herja depended on each other and were able to integrate the prowess of their other allies in the melee. The absence of Trelok in the final fight was barely noticed at first, but as the weight settled more on the other members, she had a fleeting moment of murderous rage toward the scath.
When the mines were brought down and Joh'hwuhdih Zheewi defeated, she and Jabronie rallied the others and convinced them to continue the battle against whatever may remain beyond the walls. Of that time in the field and ruins, she remembers very little. By report, while unconscious on her feet, she killed more than a dozen demons through reflexive counterattack before being returned to her wits by healing and able to take the offensive again.
Stergwyr attacked the mansion four days after the demon battle, catching the group unaware after he slipped through the outer defenses and somehow through one of the walls with arcane assistance. He wounded Taskmal near to death and brought the head of another vanir to spike against the door of her room. Jabronie and Herja brought down the deadly berserker in the end, but before they did, he cut off Herja's left arm (alchemically perserved and soon after restored) and hurled Jabronie through the library windows and off the cliff (where he was saved by Root's use of vine, growth spells, and healing).
The threat of the demons in what is now called Black Olshono has been known by the Valkyrie and the other Protectors of Development. However, she knew that for a time the burden must fall to others and her purpose was best served through teaching. The War Gardens of the mansion were improved upon and there have been no shortage of applicants to learn her methods of battle. At first, she took all comers, but lack of space has now required an application process handled by a few Temple clerks. Her students include a few of her old pack as well as members of the Yazata Brotherhood, Holy Guard, and a couple Lontish Blades.
She spends her days cycling through teaching combat and short lessons on demonology and distinctions in good and evil. Her living expenses are paid for through the state sponsored role as Protectors as well as private funding from the Temple and Fighter's Guild. Her name is known throughout the Holy Realms of western Tenpat and she is much respected where she is recognized.
When the role of preceptor becomes too heavy, she will vent her frustration and divine wrath through small forays into the region's underworld, or join Jabronie in his occasional patrols and prods at the border towers of Black Olshono. Sira keeps her informed on developments in the area, and Marcus never hesitates to call on the Protectors when their knowledge, influence, or physical skills are needed.
Although she is, for now, settled at her school, she has no intention of staying too long. Wanderlust calls to her and she knows that there are demons that must be slain elsewhere and, eventually, she must return to a while to Esseldein and help continue the line of her people.

Jabronie suffered more than his companions in the mines under the mountain. The effects of Rot Iron tugging at his soul and tainting his connection to magics. While he was indispensable in the assault through remaking tunnels, changing route of egress, healing his friends, and melting through enemies with Fire and poison, it took a heavy toll upon him. By the time the party met up with the demon lord, he was nearly ready to let the fiends finish him off. Resilient, and helped by friends and beloved gomunculus, he snapped back most of the way to his normal self just before Joh'hwuhdih Zheewi brought down the lethal blow that started the fight and counterattacked the stone-breaking fist.
As with Herja, there was no question of stopping to rest after the enemy cast down. There was still work to be done to save his city and the people within. Secretly, though, the effects of the Rot Iron were permeating deeply enough that he hoped to die victoriously in this final fight. While fighting, however, this effects did not build despite the occasional wounds from weapons forged of the vile metal. Long since past the point of physical exhaustion for any other human, his mind a fog of weariness and grim determination, he fought his way through masses with his friends. In a blast of elemental power that temporarily blinded him with pain, he finished off a Pyroclast with Fire and seemed to purge the taint from his spirit.
After the battle, he rested for two days at the mansion seeing only the other Protectors of Development and Taskmal who had not yet moved back to his own estate. Jabronie was very happy to learn Collin Dust had accepted the position of General of the Watch left open at Jerod's death, though sad that the Lion-totem had perished in the assault.
Jabronie had not noticed Trelok's departure during the fight under the mountain, but once told by Herja was in agreement of the unspoken decision to sever working ties with the scath by nature of his unreliability and constant ulterior motives. Still, sad to part with anyone he has considered a friend, he wished the scath well on his future paths and implied that his room would be kept unused (still creepily filled with shadow sculpture anyway).
Stergwyr attacked the mansion four days after the demon battle, catching the group unaware as he slipped through the outer defenses and somehow through one of the walls with arcane assistance. He wounded Taskmal near to death and brought the head of another vanir to spike against the door of Herja's room. Jabronie and Herja brought down the deadly berserker in the end, but before they did, he cut off Herja's left arm (alchemically perserved and soon after restored) and hurled Jabronie through the library windows and off the cliff (where he was saved by Root's use of vine, growth spells, and healing).
Jabronie feels no wanderlust. There is more than enough to do. His days are never idle and he serves his city with thorough dedication and constant vigilance. There rarely seem to be problems in the city that he does not have at least some small part in alleviating. His variety of skills as elite warrior, master alchemist, three time over high elementalist, street-wise diplomat, empathetic ear, and devotional civic servant keep him constantly in the company of others. He responds – when able – to the pleas of the common citizenry and only rarely requires council for how to spend the money that seems to come to him despite having no official work.
His skill with Earth magics is reaching near archmage status, and he has found ways to fuse elemental magics deeply enough into his alchemy that he has almost changed it to a new force entirely. The Sword of Jabronie has deepened in legend – and a few actual new golem-like modifications – and Jabronie loves to hear the songs and stories from traveling bards while he sits unassumingly in taverns drinking with his friends.
Roots has learned well from his parents. It is kind to all, but keeps an eye on Jabronie's back. It loves to dance in the War Gardens and tell jokes at the tavern tables.
The days and many nights are often exhausting and frequently dangerous, but Jabronie is happy. No lingering taint touches his soul and it is likely that none ever shall again. All lasting fatigue is drained away through quiet evenings by the library fire or wild cavorting at the Tower, Arena, First Rest, or his reserved space in the Whirling Top. Surrounded by friends in a city that embraces him and he calls home, he feels wealthy in a way that money could never give him.
Attachments
Lord Bishop Epilogue.odt
(33.53 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
James

Return to Organizing Games