Bridge Reach

Post details on ongoing games, report progress here, or look for a game here.

Bridge Reach

Postby wolfram » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Just thought I'd drop a note to let you know that I have a group starting a new campaign with the new book this weekend.

The campaign is beginning with the characters stripped bare--no weapons, money, equipment, armor or clothes -- in a strange forest. They are groggy, confused, and have no memory of how they got there.

This is also the first time with me as a story teller so I'll be an interesting experiment. I'll be around asking about the finer points of various rules. Wish us luck!
wolfram

Re: Bridge Reach

Postby Maugh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:14 am

Neat. It's nice to see people still playing. I"m currently running a weekly group in eagle mountain, and it's been going quite well. The second book should be fully arted by the end of the year. I've got a small army of artists now, working on it. =P.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby wolfram » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 pm

What's in the second book? Need any play testing on it? The characters are low level right now so branching into new areas is definitely a possibility.
wolfram

Postby Maugh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:17 am

The second book is everything that got culled from the first book, plus some new stuff. It will need playtesting, and I'm going through that with another couple of groups, if you're interested, I'd be happy to try and get you a copy, but it may wait just a little longer. Super busy working on stuff.

We're presenting at Fongo Bongo games this saturday, for a bunch of playtesting, and we'll be presenting again at the Salt Lake Comicon, in september. If you want to come play, you'd be welcome to come. We'll also have a couple of card games that we've been working on there.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby wolfram » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Maugh wrote:The second book is everything that got culled from the first book, plus some new stuff. It will need playtesting, and I'm going through that with another couple of groups, if you're interested, I'd be happy to try and get you a copy, but it may wait just a little longer. Super busy working on stuff.

We're presenting at Fongo Bongo games this saturday, for a bunch of playtesting, and we'll be presenting again at the Salt Lake Comicon, in september. If you want to come play, you'd be welcome to come. We'll also have a couple of card games that we've been working on there.

Sorry I missed Fongo Bongo I was busy this weekend and just now saw your post. I would love a copy of what you're working on if its not to much trouble. I'm interested to see what has become of the arcane magic. I was planning to go to at least one day of Comic Con, when are you guys presenting?
wolfram

Postby Maugh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:30 pm

All four days. We'll have a booth and spots in the gaming rooms to run games.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby wolfram » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Awesome. I'll becoming by on that saturday then. When you know times please post them.
wolfram

Postby Maugh » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:34 pm

If I can swing it, we'll be running mayhem every about 2 hours, 10/12/2/4/6/8, and warmage and goblin's breakfast steadily. Queen Mab will be run once in the evening each night, probably at 9:00, is I can get the room.

At least, that's the schedule that we've done at our last two demos, and it worked very well. It depends on what the con people will let us run, and what they have space for us to do. If we can have multiple mayhem games running we will, but I have to bribe Aubrey into runnig games instead of running the booth.

How's your game doing?
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby wolfram » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:12 am

It goes well so far. Other than a maybe shorting up the individual sessions everyone seems to be having a good time. A lot of wilderness checks as they deal with the fact they have nothing and are in the Forest. But in the last session they finally met a local that helped clarify some things. We are doing one about every 3 weeks as everyone is busy, but we hope to developing this cast of Characters over the next while.
wolfram

Postby wolfram » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:56 am

Here's our first session summary:
The party had a rough go through the forest -- having no equipment can do that to a party. The group is composed of two humans named Moss(Marlin) and Sadir(Dylan), an Aesir named Leotardo(Eric), and an Ahrlen name Arielle(Jake).

Moss quickly found the means to make a sling and helped identify usable wood for a club for Leotardo. Sadir (who was not interested in being clothed) relied primarily on his excellent unarmed combat abilities and dangerous Chain Lightning. The mummy-wrapped Aesir managed to beat down many opponents with his makeshift club. Arielle proved to be a master of survival and animals, thankfully finding food for everyone. He also honed a workable spear from stone and branches and he assisted others in their weapon and armor constructions.

The party immediately faced many challenges. Arielle managed to tame a defensive Stone Horned Elk before he trampled and gored Sadir. Several of the party faced exploding rabbits (later cooked by electric-arc cantrips).

The party found and took an ancient road, trying to leave this "unnatural" forest. Along the way they ran into mushroomy spore-covered armadillos ("shitakadillos"). Then a strangely cute creature that left them surrounded by Needle wolves. Finally, a difficult river crossing led them straight into the clutches of a giant Plated Anaconda. It took the forces of all the companions (though several found themselves too-often constricted) to beat the mighty serpent. But it turns out that Plated Anacondas' plates make great armor for Leotardo.

After the snake, the group found itself in the ruins of an ancient city. The forest is devouring the city's stone bones. In these ruins the group found a Plant focus in the Temple of the Long Clawed Bear, and a Wind grappling hook backpack in the Temple of the Plated Anaconda.

The arcane focus can be used like a wand for Plant magics, or if someone with Plant and tinker wishes to, they may insert it as the core of a staff. See the books section on wands/staffs to see how these are used.

The hook backpack is a curious mechanical/air hybrid. It can shoot a grappling hook and then automatically drag the wearer to wherever it hooks on, drawn by a cord of sky-spider silk. This action requires the same feedback as a first circle spell.

This was a challenging session. Midway through, you received 7 points for leveling up. Before the next session, you get 5 more, for a total of 77 points (97 for the Humans). This keeps you still at skill cap 5, but just barely, so that the next upgrade can take you well into skill cap 6. I look forward to the next session, which finds you in the midst of this strange ruined city in a mysteriously unnatural forest.

Still writing the second one.
wolfram

Postby wolfram » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:11 pm

The second session summary:
Session II Lee’s Tasks:

After a rough first session, the party saw the campaign take a sharp turn when a lad crossed their path. More accurately, this lad, Lee, ran by their path being chased by a Long Clawed Bear. Upon dispatching the Bear, and Lee taking its claws, Lee charmed the party into helping him complete two other tasks: capturing a live Hooded Lemur, and harvesting the jewel from a Jewel Tailed Manticore. As he was the first intelligent being the party had encountered in this world, the party grilled Lee for information about their location and predicament. For details of what you learned from Lee, see the post titled “Reach Tribnoose.”

Lee himself is a arcane mage raised in the Brotherhood’s abbey in Tribnoose, called Tybas. Lee says he has been with them for 29 cen. He was between 12 and 16 cen when he was given to the Brotherhood. He has shown abilities in Summoning, Compulsion, and Warding. He has three metal medallions embedded in his head. One medallion is on each side of his head just above and behind his ears. The third is in the middle of the back of his head. His monkish hair cut makes these evident. The medallions are joined by a series of curving black tattoos. Party members with good perception also noticed that in the black curves are runes in a slightly different black. Lee’s garb is standard wilderness adventure fair, but he carries several interesting items. He has a wand, and wears an obviously enchanted necklace. He also carries a bag which fits more inside than it possibly should. Lee said he was on a quest to collect 4 items: Armoured Anaconda fangs -- which he found on the corpse of the one you killed last session; 4 paws from a freshly slain Long clawed bear; a live Hooded Lemur; and the jewel of the Jewel Tailed Manticore. When pressured for a why, he reluctantly confessed that a goblin summoning had gone terribly wrong and these tasks were given him so he could return to the abbey.

The party took up the quest to help Lee and thus be able to accompany him to the abbey, where they can try to get beyond the Preserve. This meant recrossing the treacherous river and re-finding the Hooded Lemur that had stunned them before. Armed with information from Lee’s texts about the nature of Hooded Lemurs, they devised a plan. Hooded Lemurs have a psychically charged paralysis effect that affects those within a 15 meter radius of them. The effect was most likely more powerful than the party could with stand, but luckily it had a recoil of 3 rounds. The team devised a plan where they would scare the Lemur into releasing the effect and then have their fastest members charge it from out of range, and wrestle it into Lee’s prepared statis cage before it could release the effect again. Moss launched a well placed sling attack that scared the lemur. Sadir and Leo then rushed in. Sadir’s great athletics and grappling placed the Lemur in the cage quite efficiently with minimal damage to the party.

The party then followed Lee’s intel indicating where best to find the Jewel Tailed Manticore. This was unfortunately on the other side of 100 meter chasm. As going down and up the chasm seemed beyond some party members, the party followed it until they found a point where it hit the Reach’s wall and formed a thin ledge. However, when they tried crossing on this ledge, they were beset with Cliff Beetles. Moss used Air magic Grappling Pack to take him and Lee quickly out of danger. Leo ran, keeping them at bay. Sadir was struck by one large beetle, which burrowed into him. Despite the severe pain, he was able to remove the beetle.

After much searching and consulting of Lee’s texts, the party found the cave of a Jewel Tailed Manticore. It looked defensively well-placed in its cave, where it could shoot fire bolts from its tail. But then Moss used his Wind magics to gust it out of the cave to expose its blind side to attacks. The manticore launched a mighty fire bolt at Leo, which severely damaged the Aesir. But then Sadir stunned it to from keep it from attacking again. Finally, the combined force of the party’s relentless pummeling was too much for the manticore and he fell. Lee quickly harvested the jewel, and now the party is preparing to go to the abbey Tybas.

For this session, each player receives 13 points: 5 assigned, 8 to use freely. Leo should put 2 points in Athletics, 1 in Grit, and 2 in Melee. Sadir should put 2 in Wind, 1 in Melee, and 2 in Athletics. Moss should spend 2 points in Wind, 2 in Empathy, and 1 in Shot. These assigned points can be used to increase the named skill, or to buy supporting techs/spells. This total puts the party at 90 skill points(110 for humans) which is a skill cap of 6.

Additional information they learn from Lee:
Reach Tribnoose

Lee related the following. The party has been traveling through “The Preserve,” located in Reach Tribnoose. A Reach is a section of Zwet Noma, aka “The Bridge”. No one knows who built Zwet Noma. Legend says it was constructed during the transition from The Age of Order and the The Age of Chaos. Currently, separate Reaches are ruled by different powers, but a unified trade guild known as the “Navigators” controls travel between Reaches through a series of magical Conduits. These Conduits operate on a combination of arcane magics and elemental Void. The Reaches are also physically connected, but it is treacherous to take the foot route. There are also portals from the Bridge to many other outside worlds, but the Navigators sealed all external entrances over 400 “cens” ago. It is rumored that at each far end, the Bridge still has its original connections to the Angel Kingdom and the Demon Lands, respectively. Lee is not sure how the party came to be in Tribnoose, because the portal that apparently brought them here was long thought to be sealed.

Each Reach has 1 or more Sunstones in its “sky”, which is to say the Sunstones are fixed in a “sky diamond” ceiling, which renders the effect of a sun in the sky. These Sunstone revolve on their axis, but do not move across the sky. As the name implies, the stones provide the sun/moon/etc lighting for the Reach. Tribnoose has one Sunstone. A Sunstone rotates 100 times to complete one cycle. A single rotation takes 28 hrs 5 mins 30 second (4^(8+5/16) seconds). What the Sunstone does during each rotation depends on the particular Sunstone, and can change every “day,” but in a pattern that repeats every hundred “days.” This 100 day period is called a cen. Tribnoose’s sun stone alternates through three phases: sun, moon, darkness. For the first 33 days the sun phase is longest, then the moon phase is longest, then the dark phase lengthens, and finally on the 99th day they are all the same length.

Lee has said that Tribnoose is 4 Reaches from the center Reach, Pintrobos. Tribnoose and Pintrobos belong to the Quenton Federation, ruled by an oligarchy consisting of a council of elites. He also warned that the Navigators are strict about population movement. To reduce individuals fleeing from authorities, the use of a Conduit requires clearance from the Reaches’s authorities on both the departure and arrival end. Not all Reaches are inhabited, and others approve all travelers. These are areas anyone can travel too. Pintrobos is one such open area. It hosts a large trade city.

Tribnoose has been inhabited many times through its existence. For the last 800 cen, it has been a wilderness preserve under the jurisdiction of the Brotherhood. Before that, it was controlled by warring cults. The cults violated the sanctity of the Navigators, attacking a Conduit, and so the Reach was cut off. When Navigators returned many cen later, the cults were gone and their city abandoned. The brotherhood was brought in by the Navigators as caretakers for the abandoned Reach, as it was assumed they would cause no further problems.
wolfram

Postby Maugh » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Sounds like you're doing a stellar job, and having a lot of fun. James would be proud.

Also. I want your monsters. Very creative, and they have a nice tone to them. It would be quite a bit of work to write them up, but we do have a section dedicated to monsters...
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby wolfram » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Right now I have them a series of google docs, one per monster. They need some tweaking, as I didn't play exactly as written, but if you'd like to see them I can pdf them or share the doc(s).
wolfram

Postby wolfram » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Session 3 Summary
A party of two new members — a Sephret named “Severin” and a human sailor named “Butch” — ran into the party on the way to the Abbey. After a series of charm and empathy checks, the parties joined to make their way to the Abbey. As they journeyed, they related their recent adventures.
It turns out that Severin and Butch had also been flung naked into the Preserve, onto the same mysterious stone slab that the other party had, only about two fortnights earlier. The two had struggled with the Preserve, but the Sephret found signs of a small Unseelie Court and the two were able to get assistance from them. However, as with all favors from the Unseelie, they soon found that this assistance came at a price. The Court had received a request for help from the Abbey, and who better to help crazy wizards than new comers? So, re-outfitted and with basic directions, the two were sent to the Abbey to answer their plea.
The merged party continued on to the Abbey. This should have been easy. However, as they approached their destination, they heard the marching of soldiers on the road in front of them. When Lee saw the soldiers, he cried out "Run! Mage slayers!" but the party stood their ground. Butch grabbed the lad as he tried to flee. When Lee realized that his new friends intended to fight, he joined the effort and they faced the threat together.
The party launched a series of spells at the shielded warriors, only to find the attacks reflected back at them. However, Severin managed to land a consuming fire. This prompted the soldiers to form a phalanx line to attack the magic wielders. The party quickly realized that nothing good comes from meeting such a defensive line head on, and through acrobatics, wind gusts, and just plain running, moved to out-flank the soldiers. Spells and melee attacks proved more effective when coming from the soldiers' blind spot. Sadir was able to stun and then grapple the soldiers to limit their attacks and weaken their defenses. Encouraged by the party, Lee attacked with a lightning summon from the flank.
Of course, the party also learned that mage slayers can lay down heavy blows, often critting with their broadswords. At one point, Butch (who'd gotten himself surrounded) lied dying on the ground, until brought back by Severin’s Regeneration spell. With sling and staff, flint short sword and trained fist, and finally stone bullets and a lighting bird, the soldiers finally fell.
One private was left alive. The party buried him, bound in rope, up to his neck in the ground to keep him neutralized while they interrogated him under compulsion magic. The soldier revealed, to the party's horror and Lee’s sorrow, that the Abbey was under siege by a battalion of mage slayers. Once they'd gotten all the information they need from him, this final soldier was finished off, and buried with his comrades. Faced with nowhere to go but forward, the party devised a plan to impersonate Mage Slayers, wearing their clothes and armor and pretending to hold Severin prisoner. So garbed, they proceed to the Abbey.
This session you each get 10 points skill points, putting you at 100 even (120 for humans). These skill points should be spent in social skills and skills you used in the combat. If you are already at cap in those skills, consider related weapon techs, attribute abilities, and spells.

This turned into a fun session with a player completely new to both role playing games and mayhem. The party seemed to work well together and put interesting combat tactics into play.
wolfram

Postby Maugh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:49 am

I love reading these summaries. Sounds like you guys are running a great game.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby wolfram » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Session 4 Summary
The group donned mage slayer disguises and headed to the Abbey on the hill. Upon reaching the abbey they found dead mage slayers and a hideous liche scath. This necromancer scath had the party on the run-- sneaking in and out of sight--until Severin used his super-human perception to launch a vine at him. Grappled in the vine, the liche scath was dispatched with a series of spells and blows from the party he had tormented. Butch gathered the liche’s glass tube phylactery, to store for later, making sure to occasionally brush off the forming bone.

In the Abbey, the party discovered several mage slayer bodies, victims of the liche. There were two new varieties of mage slayers: gauntleted archers, and duel swordsmen. Finding these uniform and weapons more to the party’s strength abilities, the group re-arranged their disguises. They also discovered that the small building they saw on the hill was just an enclosure for the “Life Gate,” the true entrance to the Abbey. However, the liche had severely damaged the life gate and the plant mages had to combine their powers with Lee’s vitalist amulet to heal the gate.

In their new disguises as archers, fencers, and a prisoner, the group passed through the Life Gate into the grand entrance hallway of the Abbey’s Life ideal. The party managed to persuade the regular mage slayers that they were part of a group of misfortunate scouts who had fallen victim to an attack by the liche scath and the Sephret. They were told to take the Sephret to the captain to figure out its fate, and told they would find the captain in the Transmutation tower.

The Transmutation tower proved disorienting, as it continually changed configuration and composition. At one point, the floors were stone and the walls only mildly strange, then suddenly the ceiling was gone and 4 mage slayers dropped in on the party from the level above. After a short conversation, half a dozen Artans emerged from the floors, ambushing everyone. Dispensing with their disguises at last, the party joined the Artans in destroying the disoriented mage slayers. They were then taken by the Artans, by way of Stone Travel, into a large void bubble. There, they were met by a salty old Artan with the simple words: “Welcome to the Resistance.”

Everyone gets 8 points, bringing the total to 108(128 humans). Next session you will be breaking skill cap.
wolfram

Postby Maugh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Cool. You do, however, pick very odd numbers of points to give out. Why 8 and not 10 or 15?
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby wolfram » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:09 pm

In this particular case I picked 8 because the party did not want to break skill cap yet, and this session ended mid arch of the planned story line (or in other words I didn't want to rebalance npc's to match a changed skill cap). The next session should complete this part of the arch if all goes well and should be a good time to give a fairly large skill point advancement.
wolfram

Return to Organizing Games