[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mayhem.com • View topic - Charisma and Steel - Chris, Dylan, Bob, Marlin, Jake, etc.

Charisma and Steel - Chris, Dylan, Bob, Marlin, Jake, etc.

Post details on ongoing games, report progress here, or look for a game here.

Charisma and Steel - Chris, Dylan, Bob, Marlin, Jake, etc.

Postby James » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:25 pm

Horray for a first session!
This was a fun group. The first group I have put together without the Mayhem Founders. Chris is a veteran player, and that helps, but everyone else is either new to the system of Role Playing Games in general. There were, as would be expected, a couple mistakes, and some need to interpret some bits of vague text on the fly. Still, awesome fun.

A fully non-combat incubus to manage the group as fighters and watches the fight while changing the odds and making money for the group off of THEIR blood and sweat. He can lie and charm anyone. (10 sp in "Gambling")

A human with unbelievable talents (due to a clerical error in skill points discovered at the end by its player). A "master of daggers," as the saying goes. He deals in shady transactions and steals from the best while Drop Knife-ing any would be obstacles. (10 sp in "Black Market")

A throughouly average human that casts spells with a neutral and non-aggressive aire. He is naive about everything, and the perfect mark. Good thing he has good friends to watch his back, and good thing he is a good friend because his spellcraft heals the wounds accumulated by his less average, placid friends. (10 sp in "Non-descript")

A new creation, Chris's Ch'i based swordsman, hacked hard and dueled well against the monsters they stirred up. The balance was pretty good. Very, very minor tweaks in the mechanics for it. Competitive without being dominating or overly complex. Not very talkative, but does not back down when his friends are threatened. (10 sp in "Entracing Fight")

The first Minotaur I have had in my groups. A 3 on Charisma, he was not good at any talking or interacting (except with a foul Cucacharon). His axe was devastating, 2d14 with a double amp on one hit? Forget about it! Too bad the rolling dimmed the devastation. 3d14 =...5? Not fair. The tackle lends a great image, twice intercepted a drake in the air and trying to slam it into the ground. (10 sp in "Epic Assault")

A very good game. Just enough to showcase how the mechanics work in both combat and non-combat as well as help build their teamwork abilities and establish roles in the party. I had a ton of fun. I always like playing a group in my cities in Tenpat, but this one would have been fun no matter where it was set. Thanks for the great game!
James

Re: Charisma and Steel - Chris, Dylan, Bob, Marlin, Jake, etc.

Postby Shakey Jackson » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:52 am

Had a blast! James did a great job running the game and keeping the entire group involved and interested (as usual).

I fixed my character and was able to retain the flavor and most of the abilities I had originally planned on.

Can't wait to play again.
Shakey Jackson

A single battle and a lot of travel

Postby James » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:30 pm

A fun session! The power of social skills in an increasingly dangerous situation, a fight with near deadly consequences (thank goodness for Chris having "survivor"), and the fear of the nightmarish city of Lonti. It was fun to explore the world of expensive travel via flight and I will have to better work up how that works, the perils, pitfalls, whatnot. It is the easiest form of travel to take advantage of your customers. ("You won't pay me double what we negotiated? Well, I will just drop you from a mile in the air and scrap the money from your bones below.")

Shakey Jackson - With the re-spec, still a very effective character. I think that 5x amp with the dagger may have been the hardest hit of the evening. 10 points into Charisma based skills for the haggling and gossiping. 5 to Perception and 20 more free to spend as you will. Also, add 5 bonus points to you "Black Market" skill for your deal in New Lyrens City.

Awai - I don't know if we will ever get to game with you again, at least for a long while, but here you go anyway: 5 points in Grit for the fight with the Dripping Horror and its acid. 10 points for Arcane (either spells or Arcane Abilities), and 20 more free.

Wren - Got hammered hard by the cracked Basalt Golem. Didn't get a chance to see so much of the awesome flair this time. 5 points toward intimidate, 10 into defensive skills for your guardianship over your friends in the gambling den turned summoning room. 20 points free to spend as you wish.

Ardon - I know, I know, it is a nickname, but still. Some good hits this time, but the tone of the fight was more escape with our lives than kill the bastards, didn't get to see the tackling. There was a lot of failed socializing and frustrated intimidation. 10 points into social skills (charm, decieve, haggle, etc. you tried them all with little success). 5 points into Intimidate, and 20 free to spend. For your leaping first strike on the Dripping Horror, 5 points into "Epic Assault."

Christoph - Our Fallen Angel, it was good to have you join us. Another session needed to master how the magic system works, though. Don't be discouraged, it is one of the most complicated parts of the system. 10 points toward you defensive skills, 5 points to social skills ("What beautiful wings..."), and 20 free to spend. 10 points to "Zombie Acquistion." This can assist in finding materials for zombie creation in a pinch.
James

Postby James » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:38 pm

What a fun adventure! From seven to 4 members, only 3 of which where there for the majority of the game. First of all, there was real estate shopping and that was different to DM. I liked the considerations going into where to live, and I also really like the place that was found. A dark, evil chamber with access to sewers? Sign us up! A steal for only 2,500gp and a dangerous mission for creepy, demonic people.

It was my first time running my Kirst Ahnul with the current rules. They were very tough and at times I feared too much so, but the party is always resourceful and were very tatically smart with whelming and flanking and all. Some very close fights with several knockouts and hiding to rest until they nearly starved, what perfect combat in my estimation.

It was also, sadly, our last game with Jake (Shakey Jackson) before he heads off to the Air Force. We love him and will miss him like crazy until he come back to us.

Here are the rewards. Any extra bits use as you want. So, y'all are at 400 SkP and with as much as you did, you each get the following:

Wren - With your little friend and glowing sword, you were the light in the dark tunnels. Mostly, you straight-up fought the enemy. 20 points into your core combat skills: Melee, Parry, Dodge, Ch'i (or abilities if maxed). 10 points into either empathy (from the Ashnitae) or Lore (library time). An additional 20 points to where ever. That's right 50 points.

Ardon - Now a big fan of Liquid Agony, and master gardener on the DL. It is odd to see you have a character that isn't a sociopath. You had some devastating hits, but often seem to have bad luck when you amp more than once with that great-greataxe. 20 points into your combat skills: Melee, Parry, Dodge, Intimidate (or abilities if maxed). 10 points into your healing magic as either Ideal ranks or vitalism spells. An additional 20 points to where ever. (Also 6 points into your Gardening skill)

Tex - Our party sweet talker didn't get to join us until all the negotiations had passed and it was time for pure combat. Still, without you the others would have died. 20 points into your magic either ideals or spells. 10 points into your combat abilities: Thrown, Dodge, Parry. 20 points to where ever.
James

Inhuman Attributes and Angels

Postby James » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:00 pm

So, we started last night's session with a conversion to the new point system. As Dylan mentioned in his post on chatter, it lent many extra points just being near the skill cap they were (7). Some rounded out some weak points, others threw power into what was already strong. Interesting results that I will discuss further in the individual entries.

A note on the Shivering Manticore and Dragon's Bile: I have shopping lists for both places that are pretty good. The Shivering Manticore is the engineer's place and has personal traps, weaponry, and utility devices. Dragon's Bile has utility things, weapons, and poisons. Anyone who wants to peruse, let me know, I have hard copy and e-copy.

It was a time of choices. To be honest, I was surprised the the setting free and healing of the Seraph. Happily so, but still. The take-down of the Radiant was almost inevitible. Who would stand for that, really? I expected him to mess you guys up a little more, but was glad you found a way. 14 Str., expert wrestler, and one-ton strength can hold a team of horses.

(This is the pre-post of the adventure post I will do a little later including the plans written by the Seraph)

We are tossing on 10 points, which brings us right to the next skill cap. Spend where you want for this session.

Ardon - Our minotaur wanted Whale Lung as his goal for the sake of the impossibility of it. Resulting in 15 endurance, a hell of a lot of hp without a racial bonus, and awesome grit. The Strength boost means charges are d16 for the beast-man. Good rolls finally, too. This session was all about the tackle rather than axe fighting. His grapple is unbreakable by most mortals, creeping close to the imbalanced end...but it is all where you spend your points. I wish the Epic Assault on the Valkerie had worked, but she was skill cap 12. The attempt is enough, though, and you get 2 points to it.

Tex - So, we have learned that an incubus with maxed charisma skills and 15(!) charisma can get away with almost anything. That means that with a skill cap of 7, his average roll is 17. He wanted Fan Club and got it, and boy did he use it. He loves his crowd and gathers people to use as an extension of his character. Added some spells and much better on ideals, but still a character almost totally built for social interaction. No better example of the lack of need for combat skills. add 2 to your perform for public speaking.

Wren - Our swordmaster with the arrogance of true ability. "Our party's symbol should be a little fire guy!" Good times. Wren rounded out the skills he uses in a way that was not over the top in any one area, but filling out what little gaps there were. Even when fully blind, was able to help organize and do massive damage to the pinned Radiant ass. I think what we need next time are some better combat situations so that he can really show off again his talent.

Phillip - Ben joined us for the first time. He made a Doppleganger character. The first that I have played with. I know I learned something: don't make any crazy UMA NPCs unless you want your PCs to change into them. He currently holds as his three: a pestilant cucacharan ("Captain-Heckiss"), a wounded Seraph, and a healed Seraph. Not bad for a first day. His cunning and shape-shifting helped him avoid death from the Valkerie, and he worked hard to wrap his head around all the rules from the quick moving other players. Great potential, but you really should poison your arrows.

It was great, everyone. I had fun, hope you did too. As a hint, maybe someone should boost lore higher and maybe one of you can pick up wilderness, tinker, and/or medic.
James

Postby Maugh » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:21 pm

heh. sounds like you guys have had a great time. Cool beans. It's always fun to hear about other people's games and what they like and didn't like.

With your game in particular, though, how is the doppelganger working? That particular ability hasn't been used in its current incarnation in any of my groups.

As for the grappling...

*Rob casts invoke obscure rules.*

Check out the grappling rules, James, for ideas on how to break that. A grappled person can still melee their opponent, if they've got the right weapon for it, and at the very least can do unarmed attacks. If they can do damage, their grappler gets a big penalty to their next check. If nothing else, the grappled individual can stomp on your 'taur's toe and try to slip out, and rules for dodging a melee attack still apply. It's called 'Cheaping out' of the grapple.

Taur graps dude. Dude makes a melee unarmed attack, taur takes -4 penalty against the attack, per dodging melee. If the attack does damage, (which it is likely to do with that -4 penalty,) their next attempt to escape is an opposed grapple, but the taur takes a -4 penalty. (This is on page 42 of the current betabook.) A 'taur with a 16 strength and a +3 bonus to grapple for the grapple master ability will be suddenly competitive with a 14 strength, which is still an advantage, but less overwhelming. Your 'taur with the str 15 and the +1 grapple expert, after being hit, would be about on par with a str 10 or 11 char, which means a solid, average fighter would have about a 60% chance of breaking out.

A well rounded fighter is silly not to take grapple expert, if only for the chance that you might get pinned. A weaker char that gets hugged by your big minotaur is screwed, but really, they should be. There really should be a spell or two that auto-breaks a grapple, for the mages. Maybe displacement or destruction.

A knife-fighter will just laugh at you and stab you to death while you take -4 for not being able to parry his stabs. With his +2 for the grappletooth ability, it cancels out his -2 penalty for attacking in the grapple. If you just took a VS to charge him, he's going to get at least two swings in before you can even let him go.

Okay, now I'm just geeking out. In short, grappling is awesome, but not unbeatable.

Just for the record, and to make sure that it's right, the skill cap ought to look like this.

5-50/6-80/7-110/8-140/9-170/10-200
11-230/12-260/13-290/14-320/15-350
16-380/17-410/18-440/19-470/20-500

At 7 ranks skill cap, you should have between 110 and 140 points to spend. If you've raised one attribute from 12 to 16, that alone should cost 20 points, which is the equivalent of 20 first circle spells, or 10 weapon techniques, or almost one full UMA.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Game for 3/18/10

Postby James » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:36 pm

Hidden within you carefully (and evilly) warded house, you attempt to ignore for the moment the enraged Valkyrie and her horse the size of a bear...and the axes that nearly knock down a minotaur with one hit. Looking over the plans given by the seraph, you consider your next move: villains in the city, treasure in the mountains.

The information given by the Seraph is as follows:
Your recompense for healing and release rests 12 miles northwest of the great cliff directly above the city, at the basalt-scree covered foothills known as Nals' Folly. There will be an area of rock with a lighter color and more brittle texture. Beneath this odd patch of rock is the remains of a death trap. It is a trap house built by a would-be Mechias engineer, and only the upper 2 most floors are intact. On the second level deep is a storeroom with materials and tools to make you wealthy.
Nals' Folly is filled with giant insects and the despite the centuries since the great eruption, thick elemental energies still twist the air and soil there. Elementals and living spells are both possibly in residence. The trap house was deformed by the heat and pressure of the eruption, so is likely non-functional. It is not possible to see details within the house remotely.
(A rough map to the location is included, but maps only the path and no other parts of the mountainous area.)

Dylan - Ardon "bootes swift" (see previous entries)
Chris - Wren (see previous entries)
Blake - ?
Reed - Probably mage
Bob(?) - Tex
Ben(?) - Phillip
James

Postby dylan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Ardon looks up just in time to see a mounted warrior hack down his charismatic friend with one well placed blow. No time to think, as he rushes the seemingly easy female target. Using his powerful legs, he sprints towards her, pulling out his oversized axe and leaps to dismount her with a fatal slash.... -too bad the game didn't turn off there, Ardon would have still retained his status as a badass.

In summary - Ardon ends up screaming in a high pitched squeal, quickly retreating into his sanctuary. After dragging his seemingly dead friend inside and locking the door, he breaths heavily, wipes his brow, and peeks out the window. The female rider is prancing on his flower bed, mockingly....what else could go wrong?

Yeah, I think he's skipping town.
If minotaurs have to wear underwear around town, so should all cattle...
dylan

Short Game

Postby James » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:03 pm

wow, the shortest.game.ever.
Sorry everyone for getting sick and ending early, next time we will do better. I hope we will be able to run this group again the week after next.

Only 6 points to add this time for y'all.
Ardon - I wish there were an ability to let you average your damage rolls. Another 3d14=5. 2 points to decieve for the repeated attempts, the rest spend as you want.
Wren - We didn't get into your element so well and so didn't get to see much from ya. Kick ass perception, though. If not maxed out, 2 points. the other 4 as you want.
Karish - I hope you enjoyed running this char. Good highlighting the drawbacks of min-maxing in this game. Feel free to redistribute your exisiting points if you want now that you had a chance to play. 2 into sneak or acrobatics. The other 4 as you want.
Soilder 5 - I like the name and back story. Excited to have a good hook. You and Blake both want to hunt people down. Not much opportunity for spellcraft, but the first time I got to see someone use "bucket." Your wilderness was a great help, good call, there. I assume you are maxed out on spells and wilderness, so distribute you 6 as you want.
James

Trap Breaking and Valkryie Slaying

Postby James » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:55 am

Tuesday's session rocked, at least for me. Starting with bug fighting: Webs, fire, daggers, axes, enhancing magics...a long fight with many combatants swarm and individual. Trap house: busted down. Who needs tinker when you have tanks with Grit, Dodge, athletics, and a little magical support. Material goods, void steel, enhanced electrum, iron wood, and the ultimate treasure: a Void Forge.
After the awkward removal of the haul, there was the matter of returning to the house without tangling with the powerful angelic guardian, the final solution: kill the unstoppable guardian. The fight was real good. Some awesome rolls, some...well...not so awesome rolls. Time to get a real d14's, the d20's have forsaken us for lack of real role in the game.

Enough recap, time for the xp, eh? Alphabetically

Ardon - Either a stunning, devastating hit, or an underwhelming gesture. Still capped out in the main offense/defense?, 4 points into techs or attribute abilities. 2 into either perception or autonomy. 4 into whatever else you choose. Also, 2 more points into your Epic Assault, and 2 for Mason for the use in the Death House.

Karish - What rage! Poor drunken bastards didn't know what they were getting themselves into. 2 points into perception if not maxed, 2 into sneak, 2 into combat techs or skills. 4 more where ever else you want. Also start a new "additional skill": Taunt, to start a fight or pull fighters to you in a fight. 5 points in that.

Solider 5 - Healer, Wilderness guide, and co-Loremaster. Web rocked as both tangling trip wire and trap-evasion tool. 4 points into magic (ideals or spells). 2 into your Lore, wilderness, or perception. 4 more where you will. 2 points into your Command skill.

Tex - What an odd name for the incubbi celebrity. You started expanding your magical abilities to augment your social domination. 4 points into your magic (ideals, spells). 2 points into your impressive social skills (charm, decieve, haggle, gossip). 4 more points up to you. 4 points into your perform skill.

Wren - A man with reach! Melee from a safe distance, I don't think you are ever even hit. 4 points to Ch'i or offensive abilities. 2 into perception or lore. 4 more where you see fit. with the fire dance partner and extending blade, add 2 to Entrancing Fight.
James

Postby James » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Great! We seem to be a go. I need to give Chris a call, but he is usually down for the gaming. A quality we all love about him. I got confirmation from Blay, though he may be a little late due to a phone interview for a dream job (hope it goes better than my phone interview and false hopes). Not sure if Reed is back from his vacation, though. Need to call him.

As for the swag you guys got in the last adventure, you will need to figure most of it out in-game. Lore is going to be your best friend, followed by tinker. There are places you can use books and things to boost your lore skill, or places you can have NPCs lore for you (Sage's Tower, Avanstails, Development School for the Gifted, not to mention private knowledgable people). The void forge rocks, something everyone can use or have used to make things for them. primo item.
James

Eating Crow

Postby James » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Well, that was at times very fun. We missed our Soldier 5 and wished that Bob got there a little sooner, but things still worked out fine. I felt that I didn't have time to do justice to your weapons that you bought because people seemed to want to get a move on with the adventure. I hope you liked Crow, but I also didn't have time to give the depth to him I wanted. I think next time there is shopping to be done I will have something smaller planned, and something probably in-city.
I think in the future, the party may be less trusting of others, even among their allies. Dangerous demons and their lies. Lots of undead popping from you guys and minimal use of vitalism against them. I did not play them well, but next time you can be assure that the combat will be both more interesting and more deadly. At least at times it seemed scary.
Rob, it was good to have you as a cameo. I liked your character, even if he maybe wasn't the best fit for the party in the end. I would like to have Vice back in the future when we have space...or as an NPC. Wanna post him?

For this one, you all get 15 skill points and the ability to distribute them as you will.

Ardon - Now equiped to do serious damage while impressing with your style. I like the helm and armor, though you never activated the helm. The axe is impressive and should be named (like good ol' Porker). It weighs nearly 75 pounds and from one cresent bladed edge to the other is almost three feet. With the quality for which is he is known, Heckiss Boil crafted it in a solid piece with a handle wrapped in red drake hide and thin void-steel wire. The pommel is capped with a conical spike. As with all void steel, the metal is black in an unearthly way. Light seems to not even touch the metal granting an almost impreceptable aura of shadows. One can stare deeply into the blade and feel as if he or her were gazing into a well where veins of red swim in the deep.

Kerrish - Your cleaver is made to be functional and yet show a flare of demonic style. It has the qualities of void steel as described above. It is slightly oversized and a little heavy to wield, but not enough to impair you. Knowning you are a butcher, he bound the full tang of the cleaver with thin strips of age-ambered dragonic bone. The name runs along the back edge of the blade, stopping just befor the subtle inside-edged hook to better start skinning.

Wren - The shield heavy and I assume you would still be getting used to the extra weight in your off hand. The shield is elongated and the edges made with soft curves to match the style of your sword. The shield was made with the void steel with the most obvious veins of red. Straps on the back are of the same drake hide that was used on Ardon's great axe. While it does not explicitly give an equipment bonus like the melee weapons, it cannot be destroyed by mundane weaponry and neither heats up or becomes cold from elemental attacks.

All of the weapons can be enhanced with little work to have a variety of effects. If you guys have somethign in mind, let me know so i can get it worked out in advance rather than spur of the moment. Otherwise, I will just have the things i have given to other elemental weaponry.
James

K'Saft Must Die

Postby James » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 am

Epic times! Highs and lows, streaks that wouldn’t end, and moments of startling brilliance. I was glad that we were able to pick up at the moment we left off, covered in the blood and foulness of the last fight with the abomination and the smaller undead. We wrote in that Rob’s Fiend, Vice, flew away in the aftermath of that battle during the commotion of Solider 5 returning to the party, so he can still be an NPC.

Both assaults on the Necropolis-under-construction were awesome. Holy Burst is one hell of a spell. Without that, things may not have gone so well. Everyone had moments to shine like Solider 5’s Invisible rush, holy burst, heal 2 combo that dropped the Necromancer and softened the region. It seemed the worst of it happened to Kerrish, but that comes with heroic rushes alone up walls to engage in single combat with powerful entities.

We are about to go over the skill cap, and you all went through 4 hours of combat (most of which was against skill cap of at least 12), so you will be getting more Skill Points than normal. (19 to round out that odd 176 I somehow got you to up to 195)

Ardon - Some amazing hits! I think this time you balanced out your traditional pansy amps. A couple in the 40’s, and that 55? Without that, the undead drake may have taken off with your squad mage. With your new 16 strength and two-ton lift, you are the ultimate heavy hitter. 2 to Athletics, 2 to Dodge, 2 to Melee (obviously). The other 13 are for what have you. Since you used it often, 2 to Epic Assault.

Kerrish - You got to be the lead man several times. I was glad that you couldn’t die except against silver after your amazing charge over the pit, through the black spot, and up the bleeding wall. We have to remember the full move as fast when you are shifted, that is a big deal. You are built for scouting in the ways of stealth and speed, and now with a little better vision. Perception 2, Auto 4, Acrobatics or Athletics 2. 11 more for your choosing. You didn’t use the taunt, but your actions give you 6 ranks in Momentum: gaining speed toward attacking or other actions at the end of long distance movement.

Solider 5 - Great to have you back! You are a fantastic squad mage for backing up your allies and for your own devastating right vs. undead. The staff keeps you competitive with your allies who toss d14s and d16s. You were the walking band-aid that everyone tried to keep close. With K’Saft’s scepter you may be expanding your spell craft range. 1 in Death, 1 in Dark, 2 in Life, 2 in Light. The other 13 you can put where ever you want them. Being a mage is expensive.

Wren - I am not sure the last time I got to see the Fire Sword attack, very nice. It is great to see a fighter in the group that is not minmaxed. You have the eyes, the defense, and good offense. You don’t usually have as heavy of hits, but consistency sure counts for a lot. I don’t think I have seen little flame boy pop before now. 2 in Parry, 2 in Melee, 2 in Athletics. 13 more where you want them. With the long sword, fire, and impressive blocking, add 4 to entrancing fight.
James

City Dawdling, Researching

Postby James » Fri May 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Hello again!
I know, I know, it wasn't the most exciting adventure. The one combat in the entire session and that was a duel instigated by Wren. You got to meet a few more people like the "spider guy" in Fevertown, Stumpy the Bane, Weep from the thief guild Rats, and Star from Tex's soon to be named game house.

The highlights of the night, for me, were Wren's class on the roof and Ardon wantign to test out just how strong he was. Sad that my mini-adventure got kind of foiled. Maybe I should have just thrown more at you in the minute, but I was kind of flustered with dealing with two ton strength.

So, the main thing to come out of this is research for your magic items you want made. I have here attached the research from Yish and Amakronald from the Fallen Tower. READ IT. You can get back to me with questions. Obviously, I would rather your questions come here so it isn't always just me cronicling our adventures on our thread. Once you have everything, you need competent help to do the ritual and do the smith work. I don't have the map as well done for this setting as for Tenpat, but it will work out.
Attachments
Charisman and Steel, items.odt
(26.56 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
James

Into the Sedas

Postby James » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 pm

A grand beginning for the Sedas. I liked the extreme preparation with the mule and the cart, super rope, and kits. Of the cool things that happened, I think my two favorite were the passive aggression, and the people falling out of trees after taking thousands of volts from lightning bolts. Sorry it took so long to post, allayall.
I will try to do some better storytelling this time. When you think of crossing the Sedas, think of the drive up through park city and into Heber, or better yet, taking I-40 to Colorado, then think of starting from near sea-level instead of the 5,000+ feet of salt lake. Then think of having no roads or clear valleys and having to climb the high parts...yeah, that kind of tough and massive distance.

XP: 10 for last time, no a whole lot, I know, but you guys recently passed the cap and did get a whole lot done last time.

Ardon - Insomniac sure pays off. Carrying a cart full of sleeping friends...and a mule. Good imagery for a anthropomorphized beast of burden. 2 to athletics, 2 toward Grit, 2 for combat skills. spend the rest as you will.

Kerrish - No weretigering this turn, but I was talking to Rob and he mentioned something I think we hadn't been tracking. Weretigers are the only lycanthrope that can SAVE rage points. Even over the course of days. I think this will allow to you shift for fights faster as well as use your hybrid form more often out of fights. 2 to Athletics or Acrobatics, 2 to Grit, spend the rest as you will.

Wren - Alright, I just have to say that I am not sure about your UMA with all the stances at once. It made you Godly. We will let it stand as is for the next session, but if it is that powerful again, we may need to rethink. I hope this doesn't come across as insulting, I just want to maintain balance a bit more and that was crazy. 2 toward Ch'i, 2 toward combat skills, 2 to perception. rest as you will.

Marlin - I cannot remember your char's name. so sorry. Since you just made a new guy, I am giving you the full 10 to use as you will so that you can adjust what you think you will really want to do. Your passive aggression bled quickly into the party...thanks for that.
James

Drake Slaying

Postby James » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:07 am

Good combat everyone! I think we walked a good line with balancing difficulty this time. You guys utilized some good strategy this time. Teamwork, ability usage, and some great rolls made for a night of some epic attacks and defenses. First time I think that someone has been that close to death. Wouldn't have been as bad, though, if Ardon had had his armor. Everyone had at least one opportunity to shine and walking back into town with your new and impressive scaring will boost your rep as well.

I think my favorite hit (a tough call) of the night was Soldier #5's flooding of the Greater Sedas Drake's stomach and lungs. Good catch from Kerrish immediately following, too. Good to have had Reed back with us.

We are hitting the cap here and I know that will suck up some of the gain, but that is a good thing, right? 15 for the great fighting. Remember skills 11-16 cost 3 points to raise instead of 2.

Ardon - 3 for Athletics, Melee, and Animal. Experience with your animal, good or bad, teaches you about him. Poor little feller. Also, boost your Epic Assault by 2 (Further DC to be set against average of your own Melee and other relavent roll)

Kerrish - 3 for Athletics, Melee, and Acrobatics. Waterskiing, running, climbing, lots of movement based actions this time. Also, boost your Momentum by 2 (Further DC to be set against total number of hexes moved since last different action and effect increasing speed by 1 each sprint after second round sprinting). Also, give yourself "Friend or Foe" 6 ranks (not points, but ranks to get it going). This can be used in place of empathy to resist potentially harmful charm/decieve checks from allies.

Lenny - 3 for Shot and Perception, and Charm. I am not sure on the status of your "additional skills' and I don't want to give you too many for your sake. "Aggressively Passive Aggressive" give yourself 3 points. This can be used in place of a Charm check to aggitate'aggravate vs. Autonomy. Also "Shirk Responsibilty" give yourself 6 ranks (not points, but ranks to get it going). this can be used to avoid helping in an expected capacity without resulting in the ire of allies vs. empathy.

Soldier #5 - 3 for primary Ideals, 3 for Wilderness. Sorry if this group uses too much bantering and inside jokes. I hope you continue to feel included. We really do enjoy not only your character, but your presence in the group. Exclusion from the Hivemind of the others is a bummer, mayhap on the return trip you can stop by the Ipits again and hook you into the loop, unless you enjoy your independence. Also "Monster Knowledge" give yourself 6 ranks (not points, but ranks to get it going). This can be used to boost wilderness checks to know monster info, +1 per 5 on check up to maximum of +4 tech bonus.

Wren - 3 for Ch'i, Melee, and Perception. Alright, I am calming down about the UMA thing. Didn't even see you use it this time. Effective fighting, I think I just needed to adjust to the slight difference in Wren. Also "Why Me?" give yourself 6 ranks (not points, but ranks to get it going). This can be used to give yourself a bonus on skills used when the rest of your group refuses (perception when on guard, etc.) +1 per 6 on check up to a maximum of +4.

Cresting the Ridge

Once you crest the ridge, the light of the waning gibbous moon illuminates a large valley. To the trained eye of Soldier #5, it looks as though it was carved from an incredibly vast glacier. You seem to have stumbled upon the source of the Chanalis River as the backside is a raised lake of cold, clear water seeming fed by some underground source. Around the lake's raised shore, there is a rather steep slope of twisting rock, thin soil, and a great deal of stunted fir trees leading down the the valley floor. Scattered pines give way to grassy hills with infrequent trees. Thin streams trickle down to the valley from the lake and wend their way across the miles of hills into a dense forest of towering pines. From this distance and low light it is difficult to make out details, but it seems as though some of the grassy hills are cultivated thin tendrils of smoke may be rising from deep within the forest. After about thirty miles, the valley's gentle upward slope once again steepens toward the misty mountains beyond.

Please post any questions that you have or comments as you see fit. As always, I hate to be alone on this thread.
James

Nah'Yatuk and Ssveth Yatz

Postby James » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Great game for me! I hope everyone had fun. Had a bit later of a beginning than some had hoped for and a bit earlier end than some hoped for (mostly me I think). I liked that you all got into some of the adventure like the underwater fighting and the mystery of Ssveth's attack and staking out.

It was good that no one was seriously injured on the climb down. The way up will be much more difficult on the climbing, esp. if they are being chased. You guys rarely back down from a challenge, but I was very glad to see you all run from the frost maggots when their numbers were so high. Too bad you guys haven't invested much in lore or wilderness to find out what to do about the eggs...ewwwww. Dozens of greenish eggs quivering with new life and the ability to freeze and gnaw from the inside out.

I like Lenny's rain of death from afar, Wren's maggot cooking, Ardon's 30 athletics checks, and Kerrish's nimble falls and maggot-head jumping.

7.5 hours left until the eggs are frozen and no treasure for you.

Ardon - Animal 2, Athletics 3, 6 whereever else. 3 to Epic Assault
Kerrish - 3 to Acrobatics, 2 to Grit or Auto. 6 wherever else.
Lenny - 2 to Lore, 3 to Perception. 6 wherever else.
Wren - 2 to Perception, 3 to Dodge. 6 wherever else.

I suppose when you read this, we will be starting the next session, so Hello! I am probably a few feet away from ya'll
James

Postby dylan » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 am

Alright! now that I know the new site name, I can check on here frequently. Last campaign was a blast! can't wait to play again this week. blake will probably not show up, but that's to be expected. I'm in though! abandoned a love life, organic chemistry grades plumeting, but good times with mayhem.... life is good
dylan

Na'Yahtuk's Tomb

Postby James » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:21 pm

WOW! hard to beat an adventure that begins with a butcher performing open abdominal surgery in the crumbling ruins of a frozen labryinth. "How do we get the eggs out?" "Lets open him up and cut them out." Lots of discussion as to the rules on taking a 1 on dodge and full damage from void-steel kife, nature of heal vs. regenerative magics, and how do excise abdominal parasites. Ardon was the orderly to hold down Wren with Two Ton Strength while he struggled to maintain consciousness, Kerrish used his skills to open up a perfect cut without extra damage, Lenny used advanced perception to spot eggs, Soilder 5 used wilderness to pull out eggs and untrained medic (though with tools and high int.) to not rupture stomach and get all the lilttle things.
How to do surgery on the go? Skill challenge: Butcher, Medic, Perception, Wilderness, Medic...then Heal II before death.
The other plan of taking the adult freezing poison glands and using the poison to slow the incubation of the egg/larvae was great as well. Especcially how to make it ingestible and time-released. Awesome start.

I love the stealthing, the Lore on Labyrinth design, Mason skill, using "Mold Beds", the web wall, Mushroom umbrellas, Excellent bow shots, Kerrish's frantic greed, logistics, luring, mind-link chains, unbottled primal fire, 32 Strength check when it counted, swimming birds.... so much to love here.

You still have the components you came here for. I think it very good that Soilder 5 was able to join for most of the adventure, very glad to have had you back.

- There is a total of 15 for each (plus extra skills), so I think that brings us to 270 and skill cap 14. Correct if wrong.

Ardon (Dylan) - I think two ton strength has paid off its cost. Glad you didn't lose your right arm, and you gave Na'yahtuk some small peace. Athletics 3, Animal 2, Grit 3. 7 more where you wish. Also 3 on Mason

Kerrish (Blake) - The white leather apron returned to red from the work of your trade. I bet Kerrish will never eat cold food or popcicles again after your medicine. Athletics (or Acrobatics) 3, Grit 3, Sneak2. 7 more where you wish. Also 3 to your Butcher Skill, and 2 to Momentum (if the explanation is confusing, ask, I will remember next time after reviewing here).

Lenny (Marlin) - *chuckle* flapping lips instead of beak. So brave to fly off into the unknown dark with a horde of frost maggots behind you beyond the range of mind-link. We got to see the side of Lenny that is more team-friendly this time. Sneak (or Lore) 2, Grit 3, Perception 3. 7 more as you will.

Soldier 5 (Reed) - What a triumphant return. Your vitalism is great, but I think your wilderness and second clever use of flood to get Ardon out of the trap were my favorite (aside from surgery). Wilderness (or Lore) 3, Light 3, Magics (spells or tech) 2. 7 more up to you. 4 points to Monster Knowledge

Wren (Chris) - The fire fist in the mouth was funny. Good start to thinking about a cure. Very non-chalant about being cut open. Sorry about getting dropped by Na'Yahtuk, glad you were up quickly. 3 for Ch'i, Perception 3, Grit 2. 7 more after that. 4 to your Why Me? skill for insisting on experiementing with the eggs.

stay tuned for the Treasure post for Kerrish's treasure, and Ssveth Yatz's rewards!
James

Postby dylan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

James-Of all the campaigns we've played together in over a decade, this last campaign had to be atleast a top three for sure! As much as I love pissing a night away in town, shopping and bar fighting, nothing beats an epic wilderness campaign with a big finish. Great job! I think I'm going to Juice my animal skill and make that donkey love me before Ardon dies. Anyways, when are we playing again?! CAN'T WAIT!
dylan

TREASURE!!

Postby James » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Kerrish's Score
was able to run off with 4 heavy bars of weapon-grade silver alloy. They are stamped with the seal of the Onish Silvermines. The Onish no longer export materials from their mines in this fashion since becoming a reclusive, zealous theocracy. Raw value is 100gp, but it is a good start for weaponry, magical items.

Sveth Yatz's Tribute
The treasure sits on a miniature cart . The cart is designed to be pulled or to be fastened to the back of one of the massive vipers Sveth brought with her (killed by the giant mountain men).

Sandgazer Lenses
Human-sized skull-cap adjustable with straps. The cap is camel leather with small grommeted holes to allow air-flow. An apparatus of several lenses is attached to the the front to allow adjustment for distant and close vision. The magnifying and telescopic lenses is somewhat funny looking, but grants +2 to perception checks for far and close distances. Also grants +1 to tinker, medic, and wilderness. Fragile and will likely fall and break if worn in combat or fast motion. 500gp

Eye of Fire

Elemental eyes are high enchantments only craftable by masters. They are unusually pure forms of elements, nearly the quality of lesser True Elements. They are encased in enchanted glass and about the size of a large grape. They are important components in a large variety of magical crafts. 2,000gp worth.

3 Bolts of Shedscale Cloth
This cloth is (as name implies) the shed ectoderm of carnac. Priests, priestesses, warlords, and nobles use oils and herbs to maintain their scales and when they shed, the contiguous skin is pliable, but retains much of the strength characteristic of carnac scale. Fine quality shedscale is blended into huge sections for sewing into clothing. These bolts are from the shedscale of the Salamander and Venom priesthood. 1,000 - 2,000 gp value.

10,000 Salvic Gems
Each gem is a large drop of crystallized sand manta saliva. Prized by drakes and dragons for the center of their hoard-bed due to their hardness, texture, and flexibility. They can be transmuted as powerful components, used for ordimentation, or as simple currency in the Pruway lands. Up to 2,000 gp.

10 Pounds of Sand
5 pounds from the deep Tidal Sands, and 5 pounds of the glittering, dark sand from the tunnels of the Dark Sun viper pits. Component use, and part of carnac tribute ritual.
James

Postby James » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Game scheduled for next thursday, a week from today. Any conflictions? Aiming for 6ish like usual I will assume until told otherwise.
James

Another post script

Postby James » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:04 pm

If anyone wants to know more about the Carnac, read the information in the Nations forum. Carnac of the Pruway lands. Obviously, this is supposed to be from the old Tenpat map, but can be folded into this one as well.
James

Postby James » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Hey all!
Well, not the update that I had been certain I would post and wanted you all to read, but something important nonetheless that Chris discovered during the UNI group game earlier this week. No wonder we had all been so confused about that jumping of skill cap in our campaign. The math was wrong, we are NOT at SC 14. We are barely touching 13 (correct me if wrong, Chris.) So, if you have spent to have anything at 14, give yourself back those 3 points and redistribute where you want to. Aren't you all glad you have a little time to shore up other skills and gain abilities before pushing 14? I know that my monsters are.
James

Been polishin' the old bones?

Postby James » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:40 pm

A good conclusion to the deep Sedas, I feel. I am glad you came away with your components and some great stories of adventure for all of you. I am also glad you all survived. I had doubts for a second when the giant's javelins came out, but thank goodness for healing magics, were-shifting, expert maneuverability and walking in the air.

One of my favorite moments was at the start of the rescue when Wren started moving and Leni picked up Kerrish when suddenly it was clear that there was no plan. Ardon was also surprised. Highest Int in the group is 8, so I liked the image of the 'C' average students tried to hatch a plan. The result was a very effective sort of chaos: Distract them so that Ardon can break his own self out of there.

Still unknown parts from the valley are: The other white were-tiger, and the little squirrel/primates who sent one of their number with you; apparently with a plan.

I enjoy being back in town as well. It was fun to see the culture shock as your party came back from weeks of adventuring and were unsure how to spend a night anymore (Leni wanting to run vague schemes for unneeded money, and Ardon causing the usual strange disturbance). "Aren't you a Cleric? Don't you have underwear?"

As for items *rubs palms together* The stats were already give out for the weaponry in question, but I will re-post anyway. I saw Dylan holding his "Glacial Axe" page, but not sure about Blake. Also uploaded is the feather-fall token for Wren (sad to lose the humor of him falling), and some possible notes of Leni's bow. The Shivering Manticore is hard at work for designs on Ardon's decorative (and dangerous) berserker armor and Leni's "just leather" armor with shed scale covering. ...Hope I am not forgetting anything, though I hope Kerrish will clean his apron and look less texas-chainsaw-massacre-ish.

- now we hit SC 13, no really, we do
Ardon: 3 to Athletics, 3 to Grit, 3 to Combat (tech or skill). The other 6 where you will
Kerrish: 3 to Acrobatics, 3 to Sneak, 3 to Combat (tech or skill). 2 to Momentum. other 6 where you will
Leni: 3 to Perception, 2 to Lore, 3 to Combat (tech or skill). 7 where you will
Wren: 3 to Ch'i, 3 to Perception, 3 to Combat (tech or skill). 6 where you will.

Hopefully next time we will have Solider 5 with us, or Rob. The next game is next thursday.

Dang it, the items are on the other computer so I will just post this and do the items later.

Next time: unknown cave danger and the knowledge that you can't always run from (or pick) your battles.
James

Next

Return to Organizing Games