Lord of the Rings

Off topic and conversational threads go here.

Lord of the Rings

Postby Maugh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 am

So aubs and I just finished watching the Lord of the Rings. (Took us almost two weeks, splitting it into bits across the six dvd's.)

So, arguably the most thoroughly built and most famous artificial world and mythology. How intimidating is that.

So, obviously thinking about our own process, there are some things that have run through my mind.

First off, there are a lot of things we're doing right. The interactions of the peoples and such are good. We have a wide world with a lot of people. That's great. We actually have better maps than Tolkien has, or at least our level of sophistication and detail will be when/if we ever finish. Doing some net searching, there really aren't good maps of his larger world, just the main ones he did for the Hobbit and LoTR.

In reading up on some of the larger mythology, he does some things that I think are worth emulating, and some of which we've been doing. The concept of the 'major players,' is really important. Creatures that are greater than mortal, who impact the history and the progress of the world. I'm not 100% sure about the full mythology, but these figures are in the modern sense the Galadriel & Elronds, the Gandalf, Saruman, and Sauron's. These are the sort of untouchables, the characters that go so far beyond what the characters can realistically get to. As things get older, information gets more vague, until the oldest myths have almost no descriptive information.

Which is an interesting thing which he does overall. The 'modern' world of the LoTR age includes a dozen or so nations, but as things go back farther, the nations simplify dramatically.

That's a useful little technique, which is worth looking at closely, because it streamlines things and makes our work much, much easier. This is particularly applicable to Jess, James, Shannan, Aubrey and I, for the continents that are split into several nations. Figuring out how the nations have split up over time helps figure things out.

It also makes me feel better knowing that even someone as obsessive as Tolkein took 50 years to write his stuff. I am much more jealous of Peter Jackson, who had half a dozen artists and writers and set designers at his disposal. If we had the kind of time to really put this together, we could come up with something spectacular in a relatively short time. As it is, we may have to be content to take a long time on this project. We'll see.

Anyway, this is just me rambling. It's fun to work with all of this stuff.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Return to Chatter