GENCON!!!!!!! (organizing.)

Off topic and conversational threads go here.

GENCON!!!!!!! (organizing.)

Postby Maugh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Okay. So.

GENCON.

This is the mecca of gaming, including video games, board games, tabletop games, euro games, card games, comic/art/anime, and yes, of course, RPG's. It's a four-day event, from August 5th to August 8th. And it is awesome. Words cannot express how awesome it is.

SO. Who's coming?

CONFIRMED:
Rob (yes. Assuming I have working limbs and have not been struck by a meteor, I will be going.)
Aubrey (She is actually quite pleased to be going.)
Cara (Cara is in.)

Maybe:
Caleb, (C&J are a strong maybe.)
Jess, (C&J are a strong maybe.)
James,
Joelle (???)
Chris?
Katie,
Reed (???)
James's brothers/friends?
(okay, so half of those people haven't even said maybe, but they're certainly invited.)

Negatory: =(
Matt
Shannan

DETAILS: ($$$) These costs can change depending on how we do things. THESE ARE ESTIMATES. I've been pretty liberal, which means it's probably not quite this expensive, but I'd rather go high and end up lower than promise cheaper and end up more expensive. If it does end up more expensive, I apologize.

A pass to get in costs 68 dollars for pre-registration, which is open until June 9th. After that you can buy at the door for 78. save some money, don't stand in line, pre-register. You can pay day-by-day, but that's silly. The 4-day pass is the way to go.

HOUSING:
We will be getting a hotel somewhere close to the convention center. How many rooms depends on who is coming. The total charge is probably going to come out close to $150-200 per person for the full time period. I plan on packing people together, to make this as cheap as possible, but I'll make sure we don't have a ratty hotel, so this will be as non-uncomfortable as reason can manage.

TRAVEL:
Travel is expensive. Flights go 300-400, round trip. HOWEVER. Caleb & Jess, assuming they go, have expressed interest in driving. Personally, this is a little insane, but it implies a massive road-trip/exodus. The drive to Gencon is 20 hours long, across Wyoming and Nebraska. It does, however, cut the cost down by A LOT. Gas there and back again will cost about $300 per vehicle. Assuming 4 people per vehicle, that means that instead of 300-400 round trip, it turns into 75 per person, round trip. The driving issue means that we leave a day earlier and arrive a day later, however, which means that instead of a 4 day trip, this becomes a 6 or 7 day trip. We may need an extra day of hotel costs, although I would really rather just push through and do the drive in one shot. For those that choose to do the drive, you can come with us. For those that fly, we'd be happy to meet you somewhere along the line and save you the cost of a shuttle/taxi.

FOOD:
Okay, there will be no kitchen and your mother is not coming. (Except for maybe James's mom.) You have to plan on eating out. That's not too bad, but will likely cost a total of about $100-150 for the trip. There is some cheap fast-food locally, but that's counting eating fairly nicely once or twice.

SWAG:
Let's be serious. You won't find a better place to get some cool stuff, from clothes, to games, to art, to trinkets and whatnot. Stuff at gencon is cheaper than you'd find it elsewhere, but I would plan on spending $100 on stuff. I spent 75 last year, which was really pretty conservative, but I could easily have spent $200 if I had gotten a few things that I wanted to. Game manuals that go for $50 can be bought for 10. A vast assortment of Geeky t-shirts are dirt cheap. Out-of-print games are equally dirt cheap. Okay, I'm gushing again.

TOTAL: (cheapest to most expensive.)
500-1000
I'll be honest, Last year it cost me about 600-650ish, as best as I can remember. This year I plan on doing it a little cheaper than that, especially if we drive, at which point I can get out of this trip well under $500 without missing out on anything. $500 for a week-long vacation of this caliber? That's a steal.

Now that I've given you the hard information, so this isn't a bait-switch situation, here's the sell.

Gencon is essentially disneyworld for geeks. You can demo or play any game under the sun, old, new, and not-yet-released, get specific instructions from the designers and employees, meet geek-celebrities, see the crazy cosplay people, browse the art galleries, see next year's video games, participate in card game tourneys, attend game-design and publishing seminars, and see all of company booths for everybody who publishes in gaming. You can play rpg style games with professional DM's, try out any system, (4.0, pathfinder, etc.) and spend as much time as you want running around gaping at all the cool stuff and cool people. You can find rare gaming supplies, (d14/d16's?) and meet a wide variety of weaponsmiths and distribution people. You can meet the larper/ren people, try out the sparring gear, etc. You can talk to the pro artists that do art for pretty much all the fantasy products/games out there. You can meet the webcomic writers. There are the con-games, which are scavenger-hunts and puzzles distributed throughout the system, etc. There are comedians and shows, knife-throwers, magic. Last year there was a TARDIS, a functioning R2D2 robot, and more awesome stuff than I can even remember. There are movies playing on theatres, both anime, western, superhero, geek, etc., and more entertainment than you can shake an exceptionally large and geeky stick at. Life-sized card games & Settlers, and last but not least, the supermall just for geeks.

And above all, we'll be road-tripping with some great folks. Last year I went with Matt and we met some of his AZ friends there. This year I get to bring Aubrey and Cara for sure, and if we get C&J and James to come it would be even better. I can't imagine a better group of people to vacation with, (unless of course we got Sha & Matt to come. =( ) The drive could actually be a lot of fun, considering the folks involved.

THIS TRIP IS A GOOD IDEA. YOU SHOULD COME. That having been said, it's a significant expense, and involves time off of work. I understand if someone isn't willing or able to do it.

Respond.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: GENCON!!!!!!! (organizing.)

Postby Maugh » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:55 pm

ROCK. Got commitment from James. Now I just need to hear from Caleb & Jess...
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Wed May 12, 2010 10:40 am

Final(?) Roster:

Katie,
Cara,
Caleb,
Jess,
James,
Rob,
Aubrey,

Still possible:
Jake,
Tyson,
Maugh
Site Admin

James at Gencon

Postby James » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Alright, I finally booked my airline tickets. Kinda paid off to wait. I will be going out with your guys on the same flight, but coming home on a different path. it only cost 360 with the taxes and stuff. Anyway, glad to be going!!
James

Postby Maugh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:30 pm

SO. Matt and Tyson, who have both said previously that they are not coming, are re-considering. That would bring our total up to 9.

I was thinking about rooms, and Wanted to make a suggestion for rooming. We have 2 rooms, and currently 7 (9?) people. Matt and Tyson will be in Parenthesis.

Room A: Aubrey, Rob, James, (Matt) (Tyson)
Room B: Caleb, Jess, Cara, Katie.
Advantage: James and Tyson don't know the rest of the crowd as well, so having them stay with us makes sense. Katie knows C&J pretty well, so she'd probably be more comfortable with them.
Maugh
Site Admin

Return to Chatter