Psychosis and Chess

Off topic and conversational threads go here.

Psychosis and Chess

Postby James » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:07 am

So, I was playing chess with a patient who is currently psychotic. The game was going well when suddenly he moved his knight forward more than possible and said, "The black night calls a circle of Goku" and grabbed a couple checkers pieces to put around the knight.
The next hour was the most fun playing chess I ever had. He was clear most of the time playing, but had a fantastic imagination. We were using our pieces to summon larger pieces from a Harry Potter chess set, setting up traps on the board with plastic tokens, and using powers to clone each others pieces with devious intent.
One of the most fun imaginations I have ever played with. He was able to focus and play the real thing (I true feat if you knew this kid and the trouble he is having with reality), but wanted to play this way and had a blast with it. This is just a tribute to his inventing the "Calvin Ball" of Chess.
James

Re: Psychosis and Chess

Postby James » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:45 am

Continuing games:
Yesterday I brought my smaller battlemat and wet erase markers for the game. It became complex. We spent over an hour just setting things up (He set things up and drew the lines and keyblades and oblivions and eyes of duramon, etc and I just labled them). By the end of setting up, we didn't even play. It was a grand set0up though.
James

Return to Chatter