New Book

Off topic and conversational threads go here.

New Book

Postby dylan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:44 am

Rob... I know you don't want anymore new copies of the book out until you have made some more changes or additions, but can I pretty please help pitch in and get another one made for our party? I'm so bad at finding ANYTHING in these old books! I look the same stuff up all the time, and as soon as I close the thing, I can't remember where I was just looking. Just sayin, we would all looooooove a copy of the new book
If minotaurs have to wear underwear around town, so should all cattle...
dylan

Re: New Book

Postby Maugh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:32 am

There are actually a few reasons why this is taking longer than I had hoped. I really appreciate your interest, and it will happen soon. I hope to not have to charge you for copies, if I can, as this is not a profit-based project.

First off, the new book is full color, which is really expensive to print. Aubrey has a few contacts that we're looking into in order to make it more cost-effective. I'd really like to not have to make anyone, (including me of course,) pay more than $30 for a book, but non-commercial professional printing routes, (kinkos, etc.) are WAY more than that. (I paid almost $100 one book that is printed.) I could do grayscale, but it is really hard to read, and not really worth it. (I did a test-run of that.) We will ahve viable printing options that are cheaper, it's just a matter of hounding contacts.

More effectively, PDF's are easier to get and easier to update when the minor changes that are coming do come, but that presents its own problems. Exporting the PDF from the raw indesign document spits out a 270 MB document, which is too big to email around. Compressing it as far as I can get it puts it down to 70 MB, which is much better, but I know Aubrey can compress images within the indesign document and get the whole book down closer to 10-20 MB, which would be small enough to post and to email to people. IF I can't get it down better before next time I see James, I'll just give it to him on a flash drive and he can pass it around.

Second, there are always problems, and likely always will be problems, with the text, but I really feel like the longer I have to work with it, the more I can refine what we've got. It should be pretty clear that putting together this much material is an OBSCENE amount of work, which means a huge amount of time, and I've got a lot on my plate, between school and work and moving and everything else that happens. I do the best I can, and I'll try to get this out as soon as possible. ON the bright side, there are not a lot of major changes coming after this draft. After this, it will be adapting what we have for further volumes. In the meanwhile, while I'm waiting for other things to get done, I am still working on it, and the time has shown vast improvements.

Last, art is my bane. Aubrey is a professional designer, which means her work is damn good, but it also means she is VERY PICKY about how her work is presented and to whom it is presented and when it gets finished. Basically, she doesn't want me to give out her work until she's happy with it, which is easier said than done. I realilze this is not a priority to a lot of people, but it is to her, and to be realistic, that's pretty fair. Her time in freelance work is worth $35 an hour in utah and upwards 50+ about anywhere else in this country, and this kind of a project is a couple hundred hours of design work for the quality we're getting. Honestly. wer'e getting a bargain, but that means that she does the work on her own time, and she gets to it when she's already fulfilled all of her other obligations. That's the best I've got, and it's pretty good. She's agreed to a temporary PDF, but she's not ready to print, yet. I'm working on convincing her. I've sort of given up on illustration, for now. I no longer have access to the fantastic illustration that we've enjoyed up to this point, which means I'll have to start buying rights for art.

So, to make a short story long, (too late,) I would LOVE to get this done right now, but I don't have full, omnipotent control of when things happen. (shocking, right?) I'll get this to you as quick as I can. I told James that if I had $30,000 and three months of free time, I would have the project finished and published. As it is, I have to wait, and I apologize.

Blah, blah, blah, excuse, excuse, excuse. It will be soon.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby James » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:23 pm

I would like to think that we all appreciate the amount of work you have done and will continue to do on this project. I appreciate that there are some ways in which crazy amounts of work is done that I never notice, and yet benefit from. We were just itching for it because we were going to be switching to it and were going to start a new party. I hope you don't feel that we are bugging you in a mean way. It is excitment and anticipation, not irritation of bullying.

We LOVE Mayhem. It is all we will probably play henceforward. We understand it is not a finished product and, for my part, I hope to help as I am able. I know the others enjoy the playtesting (read: breaking system), and giving feedback. Thank Aubs on our behalf for allowing use of the PDF. Sorry if you are feeling badgered.
James

Postby Maugh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:34 pm

It's all good. I just wanted to be clear that it's not just a factor of "when I get around to it," but that there are a lot of constraints that go into getting things printed. It still gets faster when I work on it more, but that's just part of it. It is in my best interest to get it sooner than later.

Anyway, I will have a PDF at James's party, at least. Bring a flash drive if you want a copy.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby dylan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Will do! i'm excited for the new copy!
If minotaurs have to wear underwear around town, so should all cattle...
dylan

Return to Chatter