[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mayhem.com • View topic - Arting Gallery 2

Arting Gallery 2

Off topic and conversational threads go here.

Arting Gallery 2

Postby Maugh » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:08 pm

All right, so having done a little bit of study on Shannan, Holmberg, and a couple of other artists, I've tried to adjust a few things on my style, and have made a few improvements. Hope y'all enjoy this run. I'm rather pleased with them, despite some obvious short-comings. When the semester is done, I'd like to stop doing sketching and start doing some serious coloring work. Someday, someday... Feedback and Criticism are always welcome.

The Angel/Aeonic/Whatever it will be called if we come up with something better:
Aeonic.jpg
(6.25 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Practicing Fae, because Fae are hard.

Scath
Scath Yaki.jpg
(4.02 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Dryad
Dryad Androgeny.jpg
(4.88 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Naiad (I don't like her hair.)
Naiad Quilla.jpg
(6.25 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Samantha Terran, a hodgepodge of cliche's
Samantha Terran.jpg
(2.06 MiB) Not downloaded yet
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: Arting Gallery!

Postby Matt' » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Dryad is quite good. Impressive, really.
Reduce the thickness o the lines in the hair on the fourth one. If you are going for comic-style of two drastically different hair colors, shade one of them.
In the fifth one, dagger and sword don't just screw onto the hip--need some sort of belt, or belt+hanger.

I assume you are using either a mechanical pencil or a #2 pencil to draw with. You might want to try something with harder lead--that will allow you to get lines darker without making them broader. You don't need to have the whole panopoly of pencils, but having two will make a big difference.
Matt'

Re: Arting Gallery!

Postby Maugh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder on the scabbard belt. I thought of that, but hadn't gotten around to adding it. I'll fix that before I start doing coloring. The Dryad's legs are a littel short, too, but I can fix them with photoshop. His mouth is wrong, too.

The pencils is good and funny advice, because Aubrey uses a whole line of arting pencils, but I like the mechanical pencils better. I turn them into vectors before I color anyway, so I can tweak the darkness and lightness there through a process called color-holds.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: Arting Gallery 2

Postby Maugh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:35 pm

More arting from the weekend. Busy week at work, lots of stuff going on, so I only got 2 done this week:

Valkyrie 2
Valkyrie 2.jpg
(2.67 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Archer
bow girl.jpg
(930.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:12 am

Axe girl is very mega-man.
Spike on axe could be thinner.
What's the weird rod on the bow?
Arrow should (arguably) by knocked on opposite side of bow.
http://www.briskybows.com/vmsbroberts.jpg
http://www.atarn.org/islamic/akarpowicz/fig%2012.jpg

This guy has some pretty good art.
http://www.kentauroi.com/art/
Matt'

Postby Beach » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 am

Looks good maugh! I've got a few pics I wanna post but my phone is not as smart as it lets on. I've got an updated version of qla and a rough draft of a necrotesh and a carnac. I'll just have to bring them along next time we game.
Beach

Postby Maugh » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:49 am

Pudgy mage. Not everybody can be super-fit. Not spectacular work, but with some lighting and effects it should be workable. Maybe. *shrug*

Tubby Mage.jpg
(3.58 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:36 am

Hardly tubby, although the proportions are a bit odd.
Matt'

Postby Maugh » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:56 am

Yeah, proportions aren't turning out to be my strong suit. That one reference will hopefully help with that, as well as a slew of reference images that SHannan sent me, (I have them bookmarked.)

Anyway, Late night fit of madness, and here's something new, finished and colored. Took me about 4 hours, which is about 1/4 of what it took me to do the fiends. This bodes well.

Kybar's Archer. (She wants to shoot you in the face, but she'll settle for shooting the guy next to you.)

Kybars Archer-Fin.jpg
(1.06 MiB) Not downloaded yet

I was having some troubles getting the INFURIATING phutshop brushes to work, so the result is a little more pastel-ish than I would like, but I think it turned out okay.

It's not Shannan's quality of work, not by a long-shot, but hey,

Not bad for a psych major.
Maugh
Site Admin

Return to Chatter