[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mayhem.com • View topic - Full-color artings, (rob's stuff)

Full-color artings, (rob's stuff)

Off topic and conversational threads go here.

Full-color artings, (rob's stuff)

Postby Maugh » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm

It has been a very productive day. The line-art for this one is line art taken from the 'fantasy clip-art' collection I picked up the other day, and it's my coloring.

The color on this one is much cleaner. It lends more to the crisp, shiny comic-bookey style that I really prefer. No fancy textures, but it didn't really need it. It could be grittier, with some darker brushes thrown in, but I sort of like it the wya it is.

She's a little blue, but not as blue as she could be. *shrug*

Sylph-FIN.jpg
(1.16 MiB) Not downloaded yet
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: Full-color artings 3! (Sylph!)

Postby Matt' » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:36 am

Backgrounds are nice. Even if it's only a horizon line.
Matt'

Re: Full-color artings 3! (Sylph!)

Postby Matt' » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:44 am

For reference. What makes the difference?

http://sincosandwich.tumblr.com/photo/1 ... Qgd1qgywr8

I think it's just the addition of shading.
Matt'

Re: Full-color artings, (rob's stuff)

Postby Maugh » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:08 am

Good point. Some stormy clouds or something of the sort could go really well in the sylph image. Of course, it will also depend on exactly how they fit into the book

More artings. I'm just going to organize them by person, rather than doing a new thread each time. I don't want to crowd out James or Matt's stuff, and I'm goign to be adding things bit by bit.

Filled with righteous Wrath:

Angel-fin.jpg
(3.8 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Trying to find an example of launching forward with sword in hand...hard one to find.
Closest:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KcFkeN0I6po/S ... ts.jpg.jpg

Anyway. Background cloud color should not match color of wings/uniform--idea is to generate contrast, to make the figure appear to be jumping out of the background, toward you. Rear hand needs to lose some bulk.
Matt'

Postby Matt' » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 am

Matt'

Postby Maugh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:46 pm

More stuff from the clip-art collection. I had to edit a few minor details in the line-art, because the head was wrong. I also added the ice. It was okay. I'll probably have Aubs fix it a little later. It will have a better background when it fits into the book, but Aubrey wanted to do that part, so it will have to wait for her.

Ice-Mage-FIN.jpg
(2.33 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:20 am

And, here's the valkyrie, which is my line art and coloring. The color choice isn't the best that I've ever done, I think, but I was going for utilitarian with a slice of elegance on this one. I think it may be one of the better ones I've done. My proportions always seem wrong, so I cheated on this one. I measured it out with guidelines in photoshop and stretched parts until they fit where they were supposed to. Anyway, the more I do, the more confident I get that I will be able to get the art done that I need to get a damn book published, preferably before the world ends in 2012. Progress is progress is progress.

Valkyrie 2-FIN.jpg
(423.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Colors on this took me about 2 hours. THat seems to be my standard time on these. High details tend to take me longer, and super-simple stuff is faster, but 2 hours is not bad time, I think, for the quality that I'm getting.

EDIT: Adding in another link:

crossbow girl-FIN-stretch.jpg
(1.25 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:46 pm

The mega-man helmet makes me crazy, but looks pretty good otherwise.
Matt'

Postby Maugh » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:37 am

She is going to eat your soul:

vampire gymnast-FIN.jpg
(2.31 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Maugh » Tue May 03, 2011 1:57 pm

The wonderful thing about tigger?

Ra'sharan

tiger-3-FIN.jpg
(2.84 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Wed May 04, 2011 4:56 am

Matt'

Postby Matt' » Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 am

The tiger might want to put some kind of sheath on that thing. Or at least on the pointy end, before he guts himself.
Matt'

Postby Maugh » Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 pm

I always thought that sheathes on greatswords were kind of silly, considering the length of arm it would take to draw a 5 foot blade.

*shrug*
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Mon May 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Sheathes makes perfect sense--anytime you are carrying around something sharp, you kind of want to keep yourself from cutting yourself on it. The typical 'hanger and baldric' method of carrying it, where it can be drawn as carried, IS ridiculous.

Period illustration has sheath, but no scabbard:
http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/forums/d ... &mode=view

Modern has a kind of bandalero carry:
http://www.valleymartialarts.com/images/OL1038.jpg
Matt'

Postby Matt' » Mon May 09, 2011 1:50 pm

This is too awesome not to post:
http://www.unnecessaryumlaut.com/wp-con ... bucket.jpg

Actually, the whole video is pretty awesome.
http://www.unnecessaryumlaut.com/?p=4078

Apart from general big dismemberment, highlights include cinder blocks, blocks of ice, using the swords to do pull-ups with, throwing the sword, stabbing through chain mail, and some 2H usage.
Matt'

Postby James » Thu May 12, 2011 11:06 am

That video was ridiculous. Loved it! My favorite thing was watching how serious that guy was taking himself and how cool he thought he was. The pig stuff made me a bit queasy. Waste of meat. I would like to see them cut a piece of the rope after hammering through a cinder block. good times.
James

Return to Chatter