Fate/Fudge System

Off topic and conversational threads go here.

Fate/Fudge System

Postby Maugh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:54 am

In talking about the Fate/Fudge roleplaying system, (used in the dresden rpg, among others,) Matt asks: "How did it play?" This is my answer.

INteresting. There's a focus on player-driven story, and the Fate points are really nice, allowing the players to control events in a way that's very similar to the way that the Houses of the Blooded game worked.

It also has an emphasis on world-buildling, but not just in the urban-fantasy kind fo set=up. The game demands that players take part in the world-creation process, creating locations and NPC's that fit in with their characters. It also demands that they build in back-story and personality to their characters, because the abilities and bonuses specifically have to connect to these experiences and qualities.

The example they give is like this: If a character had an 'aspect' of "bad-ass cop," and had as part of their history the fact that they got in a lot of fights through the academy, then when they wanted to roll an intimidate kind of check, they can invoke that aspect of their character for a +2 bonus. (Which is huge in this system.) On the other hand, other players of the DM can invoke aspects as well, for a penalty. If the character were trying to get information from their superiors at the police department, their 'bad-ass cop,' aspect might be invoked by the DM for a -2 penalty. (which would also award the character a fate point, to be used later. Totally worth it.)

The idea is that aspects need to be both positive and negative, because that makes for more interesting characters. Really, that's what this system does well. It encourages and even forces players to build in story and character in order for the game to work.

It also mechanifies social encounters, but I didn't actually get that to work very well. Characters have three kinds of HP, mental, social and physical. A character can be intimidated, bribed or manipulated out of combat encounters, even while bullets are flying around.

The combat system is designed around "manevuers," which are ways of getting into position in order to get a bigger advantage over an opponent and thus bigger bonuses.

Aubrey really likes the Fudge dice mechanic. I'm not quite as big a fan. It was interesting, but I never really liked the normal curve, and a system that demands the use of negative results just seems like a hack. Rather than negative, blank, and positive, it really should have been blank, +1 and +2.

Also, combat is cinematic, but not tremendously strategic. This is the opposite of dnd. Much less a simulation and much more sotry driven. That's not to say that it can't be used for interesting combat, like dnd can be used for great character-building, but that's not what it excels at.

Anyway, That's sort of my estimation. It's a very interesting system.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Re: Fate/Fudge System

Postby Matt' » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Takes a bit to get used to the whole 'Declaring X to be true' mechanism.
Matt'

Postby Maugh » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:50 am

Heh. Just like having a room full of DM's.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:38 pm

It is a room which *requires* a room full of DM's to play. Witness Clint's initial trouble with magic.
Matt'

Postby Maugh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:56 pm

I admit, there is a certain strange satisfaction to watching people squirm trying to write content on the fly.

It's been interesting to watch. The system has a lot of strengths, and I like it, but sooner or later, I will begin to miss the crunchiness of the combat wheel. I guess we go three or four more sessions, though.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:48 pm

It's a skill. My ability to do so has certainly declined from lack of practice.

The more I roleplay, the more of my roleplaying experience I devote to 'creating a character', rather than 'running 'toon', or even 'narrating a game'.
Matt'

Postby TheMatt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Still quite like this. Was thinking how much I like the 'magic as mental damage' mechanic. I had forgotten about it, partially because it's so very 'lightweight' compared to every other magic system.
"I can't tell if what you are saying is too profound for me to understand, or just insane".
TheMatt

Return to Chatter