Dresden Files

Off topic and conversational threads go here.

Dresden Files

Postby Matt' » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Book four finished, today at about 1pm. Only one more book left, and then I will need to get more from you, Rob.

It's funny how noticeably much BETTER his writing gets from book to book.
Matt'

Re: Dresden Files

Postby Maugh » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:30 pm

I was right. I should have given you the whole stack. You burn through reading material very, very quickly.
"Use the best: Linux for servers, Mac for graphics, Windows for Solitaire."
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 pm

All books read. I need more. And I should drop the RPG book off at your house, given that I'm going abroad for a couple of weeks. Hmm. Think I will leave them in Sandy.
Matt'

Postby Matt' » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Dresden 6 finished at 2am last night. Had craaaaaaazy dreams where anything dead I fell asleep next to woke up as a zombie. Trying to dispose of a dead rat (no fun to touch), and had it start writhing and wriggling in my hand.
Matt'

Postby Matt' » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Jess: I am coming for the books. You have a two week hiatus while I am in Spain, but know what awaits.
Matt'

Postby Maugh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Bought the FUDGE dice for running this game this afternoon. Going to try a run of it tonight with Caleb & Jess, see what's what.

Their system of 'aspects,' and 'fate points,' is very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:19 am

Just finished reading 'White Night'. Still missing the books with: a) Battle at Actis Tor, and b) the battle with Zombie dinosaurs.
Matt'

Postby Maugh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 pm

A. Proven Guilty (book 8): This is the one where he picks up Molly as an apprentice, and Charity, (michael's wife,) is pretty badass. Very horror-movie themed.
B. Dead Beat (book 7): Fighting the Disciples of Kemmler. Also some very interesting interactions with Lasciel & some dealings with the Fae.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby Matt' » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:13 pm

Arg. Still out of order then. Lash just said goodbye. Trying to read everything else before reading Ghost Story. Next time you come, if you could bring those two, I would be obliged.
Matt'

Postby Matt' » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Books 7 and 8 would be the ones I am missing then. I'm trying to hold off reading 'Ghost Story' until then, but it is VERY HARD.

http://images.cryhavok.org/d/4402-2/Dre ... Santos.jpg
Matt'

Postby TheMatt » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:07 pm

The worse thing about being done with Dresden files is... being done with Dresden files. And trying to find it's like it hard, because what I want is something equally as good, not more of the same.
"I can't tell if what you are saying is too profound for me to understand, or just insane".
TheMatt

Postby Maugh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 am

Here's the rundown of urban fantasy:

Ilona Andrews:
Gleefully violent, good world build, and just a little trashy. Good read. Fun. I may have loaned those to you before.

Seanan Mcguire
Excellent tone, interesting characters, a little less exciting and a little slower paced. Very well crafted, but not quite as fun as butcher. I've been reading the October Daye novels, but she has another series that I'm going to try out next, I think.

Patricia Briggs:
Interesting relationship structures, not quite as good. Allison would disagree. They're her favorite. (The fluffy dog Bran is named after a character in those.)

Karen Chance,
Haven't gotten to these yet. I think they're more akin to Laura K Hamilton than the ones above.
Maugh
Site Admin

Postby TheMatt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm

I downloaded some Patricia Briggs. Same cover artist as Dresden Files, probably deliberately. We will see how it goes.
"I can't tell if what you are saying is too profound for me to understand, or just insane".
TheMatt

Return to Chatter